Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Are You and Your Vehicle Ready for Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Are You and Your Vehicle Ready for Winter?

If you're fortunate enough to live in a part of the country, or world, that does not have to worry about subzero temperatures, snow, salt, ice, etc... then you can stop reading now and know that the rest of us are all quite jealous

For everyone else, it's important to make sure you're prepared to care for your vehicle in the upcoming colder months. Harsh temps make it difficult to maintain your vehicle, but the harsh chemicals used on the roads mean that you must still make a valiant effort to keep your ride clean, and it is also a reason to have a fresh layer of protection applied while it's still warm enough outside.

Here are some articles that will cover the basics of protecting yourself in the winter by wearing appropriate clothing, adapted traditional washing, rinseless washing, winter prep, etc.

Winter Wear: Making Winter Detailing Easier on Your Body by Jean-Claude Corcoran

Ask-A-Pro: Questions about Cleaning Vehicles in the Winter by Todd Cooperider

How to Safely Wash Your Car in the Winter by Marc Harris & Jacob Bunyan

Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic

Winter Is Coming! Make Sure Your Vehicle is Protected by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you've got any questions, and feel free to leave your own winter car care tips in the below!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL
The following users liked this post:
Vizard_87 (10-26-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM
CTG37S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just wondering if doing an underbody high pressure car wash at below freezing temperatures could damage the car if the water freezes to moving parts under the car.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by CTG37S
I'm just wondering if doing an underbody high pressure car wash at below freezing temperatures could damage the car if the water freezes to moving parts under the car.
I wash my car when it's well into the -20's in winter and have never run into an issue.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CTG37S
im more worried about freezing my *** off. screw that noise.

i applied Fluid Film to the underside, and i'll wash it when temps are above "freeze-your-nuts-off".
Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 AM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
I appreciate the time you guys put into your articles. I've been using Collinite and Menzerna PL for a year or so and it was great to see it be mentioned in the same article you wrote. This stuff is amazing, especially the PL. After applying it, the car is incredibly slick.

I did a test to see which one works best for duration. I waxed my daughter's Blue Corolla which she drives to college and it sits out all day (under trees,...). I waxed 1/2 of car with Menzerna and 1/2 with Collinite. She came home after 4 months and I washed it for her. Well I wished I had taken a picture b/c the horizontal parts of the car (hood, roof,...) showed a DRASTIC difference in terms of beading. The Collinite had very little beading left in it, but the Menzerna side had beading on it but the water slowly came off in a sheet. You could see the water just disappear from the car.

So needless to say, the Menzerna PL is my base coat for all of my cars and its topped with Collinite. Both are incredible stuff and thanks for confirming this!

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If you're fortunate enough to live in a part of the country, or world, that does not have to worry about subzero temperatures, snow, salt, ice, etc... then you can stop reading now and know that the rest of us are all quite jealous

For everyone else, it's important to make sure you're prepared to care for your vehicle in the upcoming colder months. Harsh temps make it difficult to maintain your vehicle, but the harsh chemicals used on the roads mean that you must still make a valiant effort to keep your ride clean, and it is also a reason to have a fresh layer of protection applied while it's still warm enough outside.

Here are some articles that will cover the basics of protecting yourself in the winter by wearing appropriate clothing, adapted traditional washing, rinseless washing, winter prep, etc.

Winter Wear: Making Winter Detailing Easier on Your Body by Jean-Claude Corcoran

Ask-A-Pro: Questions about Cleaning Vehicles in the Winter by Todd Cooperider

How to Safely Wash Your Car in the Winter by Marc Harris & Jacob Bunyan

Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic

Winter Is Coming! Make Sure Your Vehicle is Protected by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you've got any questions, and feel free to leave your own winter car care tips in the below!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL
Old 11-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
in preparation for winter, i used the HydrO2 spray sealant i bought from Detailed Image on my other vehicles (G37 was already sealed), and .... that stuff is AMAZING.

will definitely be using it on the G in the spring. i did do the wheels, though - SOOO easy. the multi-spoke Sport wheels would be a beotch to apply wax/sealer and remove, but the HydrO2 makes it a piece of cake.