Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Faded, red paint.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:48 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Faded, red paint.

I have a serious problem on the roof. There are white spots on the front side of the roof, although not peeling it is pretty thin (2.9-3 mils thick compared to 4 mils on the back). The paint on the side mirrors are in bad condition. Here are some pics.

Do you think I can restore the roof without repainting it? it really bothers me.
Attached Thumbnails Faded, red paint.-roof1.jpg   Faded, red paint.-roof2.jpg   Faded, red paint.-side1.jpg   Faded, red paint.-sidemir.jpg  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Assuming this is clear coated paint job, there is no real way to tell if it is just surface oxidation, or if the clear coat has failed and exposed the base coat which would be dull as shown. If it is single stage paint (no clear coat), then it is likely just oxidized.

Since there is really no risk here, as the surface may already need to be repainted, I would suggest proceeding with a paint correction test on the roof to see if the dull appearance can be revived.

Using a dual action polisher such as the Griot's Garage 3rd Gen Random Orbital, I would begin with a heavier cutting compound such as Meguiar's M100 and perhaps an orange light cutting pad or microfiber cutting pad, followed by Meguiar's M205 on a foam polishing pad.

While this vehicle is not nearly as bad as the photos you had shared, you can get an indication of what can be achieved with proper paint correction should your clear coat be in tact or if you're working with single stage paint.
Name:  20130412-DSC_0012_zps993830fc.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  443.0 KB

For even more information regarding the detailing process, check out our comprehensive Detailing Guide and Ask-A-Pro Blog.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
Attention to Detailing - Peoria, IL
Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
unfortunately I don't have an orbital polisher. Should I take it to a detailer or autobody shop with your suggestions?

If the polisher is not a must I may try to do it by hand.