Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Expereinces with opticoat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by lightlypurified
ok maybe there is some shine on 1 layer of opti coat but i applied the 2nd is where it really started to shine and yes you can layer it i spoke to a rep from optimum.
Chris from Optimum frequents AutoGeek and the last I read from him it can be layered but will only stick to spots that dont already have Opti.

So yeah, you can layer it, but technically you wont have 2 layers worth except where it didnt bond correctly the first time.

Even after 3 years of doing nothing but washing it, my G is probably the shiniest car in our neighborhood So regardless of how you get there (1 or 2 coats) I think OptiCoat gives an excellent shine. A little "hard" (i.e. not soft/deep like carnuba wax), but I actually like that look for Malbec Black personally.

I might reach out to have mine refreshed as it doesnt seem to sheet off the doors as well as it used to, but after 3 yrs if thats all I need done, Im a happy camper. It might even just need a better cleaning (i.e. Optimum PowerClean soak and wash), but no can do until this northeast winter goes away (sometime in July!)
Old 03-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Biggwappz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lightlypurified
What Problem is that? i used opti coat 2.0 the consumer friendly version i did all the prepp i needed to do and gave it 24 hours.If you got it professionally done then they used opti guard obviously is harder than 2.0. i'm assuming 2 layers should do with the 2.0. All i'm saying is that its a bit over hyped in terms of scratch resistance they advertised as 9h hardness. I tested my theory with 2 layers of opti coat 2.0 it is now shiner then ever.
Am not saying you are wrong in every one of you postings about Opti-Coat but you are miss informed, I apply it for a living and use it on my cars, bikes, shower glass doors, jewelry, and countertops and stove. there is no consumer friendly version.consumer friendly instruction? yes.. but they dont list the problems you can encounter if not done right there is no need to do 2 layers. 1 layer PREPARED right and then applied correctly will be shinny and scratch resistance. by the way what you are describing about being shinier then ever on the second coat is a PLACEBO affect.. Trust me sir. what you see as shiny is the perfection on the preparation of the clear coat. so If the clear coat is defect free under my 10k LED lights, then it gets the opti-coat otherwise its another pass of my Rupes , and opti polisher.
If you have any question ill be happy to answer them to my fullest knowledge, if i dont know the answer we can always google it or ask Chris or dann OPticoat reps.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 AM
lightlypurified
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
theres opti coat 2.0 and opti guard. and yes there is a friendly consumer version its called opti coat 2.0 look it up if you don't believe me anyways im done talking about this im outs .......

Last edited by lightlypurified; 04-10-2014 at 02:22 AM.