Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Leatherique process question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Leatherique process question

Started using the Rejuvinator oil on my seats today...was hoping to get them done and let the car sit in the sun but "life happened". So now I have the RO sitting on them, no heat, and no sun in the forecast until Wednesday.

Can I just leave the car for now, and Wednesday let it bake in the sun to get the RO to "do its thing"? Or should I remove the existing RO (with Pristine Clean) and then repeat the whole process? OR should I just add more before letting the car sit in the sun on Wed?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I would say clean it off and then try again when you know it will be sunny. If you dont think there will be sun they also suggest putting a plastic bag like the kind from a drycleaners or trash bag over your seats and run a hair dryer to heat up the cabin to try to achieve the sauna effect that RO needs.

I once left RO on my back head rests for a few days thinking it would make them extra supple, what happened is it just left a oily stain after using pristine clean. It did eventually go away but having a camo pattern effect on the headrests wasnt the desired result.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rlo
I would say clean it off and then try again when you know it will be sunny. If you dont think there will be sun they also suggest putting a plastic bag like the kind from a drycleaners or trash bag over your seats and run a hair dryer to heat up the cabin to try to achieve the sauna effect that RO needs.

I once left RO on my back head rests for a few days thinking it would make them extra supple, what happened is it just left a oily stain after using pristine clean. It did eventually go away but having a camo pattern effect on the headrests wasnt the desired result.
Oil-based conditioers have that affect on polyurathene finished leather

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “What exactly is ‘Finished leather"? “- http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...eather%92.html
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Oil-based conditioers have that affect on polyurathene finished leather

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “What exactly is ‘Finished leather"? “- http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...eather%92.html
Should I assume that my monaco red leather seats are "pigmented" ?

Making this statement true in my case:

"Pigmented leather won't absorb liquids because of the protective properties of the finish making for easier clean-up. Since the leather hide has a clear coat finish, when treating the leather, so you are in fact dealing with a urethane (to all intents and purposes, a ~150 µ (micron) thick plastic surface coating, about the same thickness as automobile clear coat paint; that simply needs to be kept clean and hydrated ...it really is that simple."
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yup.

You could just use pristine clean and probably get better results. After learning TOGWT's wise ways, I haven't put any oil products on my leather. I use pristine clean to help get any residue off, then clean/buff with a damp rag, then apply a little 303.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Yup.

You could just use pristine clean and probably get better results. After learning TOGWT's wise ways, I haven't put any oil products on my leather. I use pristine clean to help get any residue off, then clean/buff with a damp rag, then apply a little 303.
Took the RO off today with Pristine clean. it definitely got rid of most of the shininess on the drivers seat, although there is one problem spot (the same as all other G owners: the left thigh bolster that you end up rubbing against to get out of the car) I might go over that spot again with RO and/or PC to see if I can get it any better.

Its interesting that "nothing" would really be necessary with pigmented leather. Ive never seen/heard that before. TOGWT - I see you are on other detailing forums as well (Autopia, etc). Are you associated with Leather Doctors? (just an honest question, Ive corresponded with someone from there via email, was wondering if it was you)

I notice as I look more and more into detailing the products I end up going with and the advice I get ends up getting better and better. Started with Lexol, now onto Leatherique, and am now looking at Leather Doctor stuff as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My detailing background (five decades) is in Concours d’élégance vehicle preparation and although I was paid for this service I’m not a professional detailer, I earned a PhD in Chemical Engineering and my chosen profession was (now retired) Operations Director for a major International Oil & Chemical company, specializing in R&D and the application of polymers for the US defence industries.

I have also spent ten years on various International detailing forums answering detailing questions. After being a contributor to Autopia.org (the original detailing forum) I was given my own section (TOGWT Detailing Wiki) to post my detailings articles

In the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way affiliated with, employed by, have any vested interest, or in any way receive compensation from the sale or distribution of any of the product lines reviewed or the company that manufactures or markets it
DrJon

[Are you associated with Leather Doctors?]

No I'm a Doctor of Philosophy not a Leather Doctor

Allow me to introduce myself - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ce-myself.html

Last edited by TOGWT; 09-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.