Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

1st Time Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM
bmbweber

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
1st Time Paint Correction

Sooo this last weekend someone decided to "key" my trunk (Obsidian Black). They didnt do a good job, and im almost positive they didnt use a key, but some blunt object; most of it looks like a scuff across the paint but some parts feel like they may have penetrated the clear coat.

Anyways, my paint is in minor need of some polishing and it does have swirls, few scratches, but no marring. Ill post some pictures when Im out of school.

I planned on just buying everything needed to do the paint correction myself, and hopefully solve the trunk issue, if not, ill just repaint it. Give me some tips on my list.

-Microfiber Wash Mitt
-Meguiars Soap (2 Bucket wash method)
-Mother's Clay Bar
-Another Wash

Then, the stuff im planning on picking up;
-Chemical Guys V34 Hybrid
-Chemical Guys V38
-Chemical Guys Wax (Recommend me one)
-Chemical Guys Black Light
-Dual Action Buffer from Harbor Freight.

Any Advice?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by bmbweber
Sooo this last weekend someone decided to "key" my trunk (Obsidian Black). They didnt do a good job, and im almost positive they didnt use a key, but some blunt object; most of it looks like a scuff across the paint but some parts feel like they may have penetrated the clear coat.

Anyways, my paint is in minor need of some polishing and it does have swirls, few scratches, but no marring. Ill post some pictures when Im out of school.

I planned on just buying everything needed to do the paint correction myself, and hopefully solve the trunk issue, if not, ill just repaint it. Give me some tips on my list.

-Microfiber Wash Mitt
-Meguiars Soap (2 Bucket wash method)
-Mother's Clay Bar
-Another Wash

Then, the stuff im planning on picking up;
-Chemical Guys V34 Hybrid
-Chemical Guys V38
-Chemical Guys Wax (Recommend me one)
-Chemical Guys Black Light
-Dual Action Buffer from Harbor Freight.

Any Advice?
You might want to read up on detailing forums as to how well (or poorly) the HF polisher works. I know you're trying to save some money, but you may end up wasting it buying that one. You will not go wrong with a Porter Cable or Flex even though they cost much more.

If you're trying to polish out deep or moderate scratches, I'd suggest something other than the CG polishes. I like CG products but the polishes don't seem top have as much cutting ability as others. Get a good compound with some cutting ability. Meguiar's M95 is a good one that's easy to use for a beginner and has good correction ability if used on a yellow or PFW pad. You'll probably want to finish it with something finer like M205 or the CG V38. CG now has a sampler of all of the V-line polishes that's a pretty good value IMO. But I'm sure that if you try V34 adn M95 side by side you'll see the difference in cutting ability.

I use and like CG Pete's '53 wax. Very good results, easy on/off, and not too expensive.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
bmbweber

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You might want to read up on detailing forums as to how well (or poorly) the HF polisher works. I know you're trying to save some money, but you may end up wasting it buying that one. You will not go wrong with a Porter Cable or Flex even though they cost much more.

If you're trying to polish out deep or moderate scratches, I'd suggest something other than the CG polishes. I like CG products but the polishes don't seem top have as much cutting ability as others. Get a good compound with some cutting ability. Meguiar's M95 is a good one that's easy to use for a beginner and has good correction ability if used on a yellow or PFW pad. You'll probably want to finish it with something finer like M205 or the CG V38. CG now has a sampler of all of the V-line polishes that's a pretty good value IMO. But I'm sure that if you try V34 adn M95 side by side you'll see the difference in cutting ability.

I use and like CG Pete's '53 wax. Very good results, easy on/off, and not too expensive.
I've glanced at reviews for the HF polisher, and in terms or quality and durability, it doesnt compare. But seeing as I would probably use it 2 times a year, is what is pushing me to go the cheaper route rather than the PC.

As far as the CG compound vs. others, I dont feel as if the swirls are heavy but moderate/light. The car has received professional paint correction in the past. Also, is the V-Line sampler enough of each polish for the entire car? I'll look into your recommendations, thanks for the response.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by bmbweber
I've glanced at reviews for the HF polisher, and in terms or quality and durability, it doesnt compare. But seeing as I would probably use it 2 times a year, is what is pushing me to go the cheaper route rather than the PC.

As far as the CG compound vs. others, I dont feel as if the swirls are heavy but moderate/light. The car has received professional paint correction in the past. Also, is the V-Line sampler enough of each polish for the entire car? I'll look into your recommendations, thanks for the response.
I was talking specifically about trying to polish out the scratch on the trunk which I presumed would be more than a moderate scratch but I haven't seen it, you have. Yes, the 4 oz sampler bottles of polish should be plenty to do your entire car.

My personal experience with HF electric tools has been mixed, but mostly far less than stellar. Some of their stuff is very good, some is garbage and isn't fit to be used for it's intended purpose, that's why I said that. I don't personally have any experience with the polisher. Generally they're pretty good about taking things back so if you get it and it's junk, you may be able to get a refund and then buy a real polisher.

Good luck, post B4/After pics.