Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax Not for Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 PM
CharlieMac646

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax Not for Me

First off I am by no means a pro detailer. It was decent day this past weekend so I decided on a spring detail. I started with the interior and made my way outside. I washed with my power washer to get residual salt and debris from the wheel wells. I used dawn which was a tip from my body man to remove residual wax from last season. I then proceeded with a clay bar until it was as smooth as possible. I then used Mothers California Gold wash with a microfiber wash mitt. I then dried and proceeded with waxing. Everything went well it came on nicely, I went to a meet later that night the temperature fell to about 43degrees and everything was fine then I noticed the dust. It was a lot of dust as if it had been sitting for days. I was at the meet less than an hour, fine I used a microfiber towel and Meguiars quick detailer. Just my luck it rained the next night and again last night. Both nights I was parked outside. I take a look at the car today and it was filled with water spots and dirt. This is not the first time I have used the wax and it came out with this way after rain. I think I need to try another brand I keep it simple and buy my car wash products from pep-boys or autozone so any tips on another brand or wax that stands up to the rain? I have 3M paste wax but it takes a bit of time to put on and remove. I am open to all tips.

Thanks in advance
Charlie
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Starting with completely cleansed paint, I like using this sealant:

Optimum Opti-Seal - 8 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

then follow up with this wax:
Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax - 7.4 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
I used this wax on silver and graphite shadow paint, looks great.

On maintenance washes, I follow up with this spray-on wax: Optimum Car Wax - 17 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I use Citrus wash to prep the paint, in high concentration (5 oz per 5 gallons): Chemical Guys Citrus Wash - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

Some say that you don't really need to go beyond the sealant, that by itself it is durable enough to last 3-4 months, and that an extra coat of carnuba is just for looks. But these two products worked pretty well for me for a number of years.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I dont have much experience with Mothers Wax but wax is not that resilient to the elements and any wax attracts dust and other pollens especially during spring.
If you are looking for the coat to last at least a couple months you might want to try some sealant in place of wax.
I would say look for a sealant maybe Meguiars, I dont go to AutoZone or Pepboys for detailing stuff so I cant tell you what is good there.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
My favorite wax, after applying Blackfire wet diamond sealant, is Meguiar's nxt tech wax 2.0.

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 - 18 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image