Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive leather upholstery –

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive leather upholstery –

– but were too afraid to ask.

How important is the correct identification of finished lather?

Automobile model ranges use different materials for their vehicles interiors; leather upholstery like Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products (Alcantara seat inserts on leather seating) as well as various grades of leather hide, full-grain, top-grain and split –grain (which is protected with urethane) all of which require different products and applications methods

The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) is a reference guide for Professional Upholstery Cleaning (IICRC S300) it’s a five day leather training course, which devotes two days of the course to the correct identification of leather finishes

Once you’ve correctly identified the leather and / or the applied finish applicable to your vehicle's upholstery, it’s easier to select suitable products / methods (one size fits all is just a vendor's marketing myth) Different types of leather require specific cleaning and care and therefore require a slightly different process.

Check your 'leather type' before attempting to clean or apply any products to its surface.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – “Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...fication.html#

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – “Leather Articles Hyperlinks” -http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why don't you just tell me what the G37 needs so I can go and buy it?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Chevyboy_Erik

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BosMaSwaG37
Why don't you just tell me what the G37 needs so I can go and buy it?
This......