Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Detailing 2011 Scratch Shield Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Soundwavefd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Detailing 2011 Scratch Shield Paint

Hello,

My name is Drew and this is my first post on MyG37. I am a pretty experienced detailer but family and personal vehicles.

I am the owner of a 2003 WRX and a 1993 RX-7 (18,500 original miles). I know how to work on their paint, but know nothing about scratch shield paint.

My mom just bought a pre-owned 2011 Moonlight White G37x Sedan and under the hood it has the "Scratch Shield" sticker. I am coming here for help on how to detail this type of paint. I don't want to mess up her car.

If I understand correctly, "Scratch Sheild" is the same as "Self Healing Paint" just different wording?

I just want to know which detailing procedures are OK to perform on scratch shield paint and which procedures I should avoid.

From what I have read, I do not want to use my PC7424XP dual action polisher on the paint so as not to heat it up? I have heard to work by hand only?

Would it be OK to clay the paint with a mild grade claybar? How about applying a "Paint Cleaner" by hand that contains a very minor amount of mild abrasives such as one of the paintwork cleaning lotions sold on Autogeek (Pinnacle/Wolfgang etc), or is the key NO abrasives at all? Here is an example of one of the paint cleaners I am partial towards:

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and

Finally, I use Iron X to decontaminate my other vehicles before sealant application. Would it be OK to use this product on scratch shield paint?

For those unfamiliar with Iron X here is a link:

Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination

Thank you in advance for any guidence!

Drew
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Soundwavefd

No one?

I read all the "Scratch Shield" related threads in this forum and the best I can tell is that you should not machine polish.

Some threads say you can clay with fine-grade and some say you have to wait 2 years to clay until the scratch shield hardens.

I see no info about Carpro Iron x or paint cleaners on Scratch Shield paint.

If claying will just marr the paint and I cannot polish it afterwards I was just thinking Iron X and a non-abrasive paint cleaner and then seal it up?

The final thing I was wondering is if Griot's Paint Prep would be safe to use to prep the surface for sealant.

Last edited by Soundwavefd; 03-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A google search found this post (among many others) -Infiniti G37X with Scratch Shield Paint - Complete Detail by Unique Car Care!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 AM
ma5aru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done paint correction and detailing on my scratch shield paint many times and have come up with combinations that seem to help in achieving decent results. However, its late ATM and I have to get some rest (just happened to notice this topic). I'll respond soon with some things I've learned in handling this type of paint if you still need it.

Last edited by ma5aru; 05-30-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Soundwavefd

Originally Posted by ma5aru
I've done paint correction and detailing on my scratch shield paint many times and have come up with combinations that seem to help in achieving decent results. However, its late ATM and I have to get some rest (just happened to notice this topic). I'll respond soon with some things I've learned in handling this type of paint if you still need it.
Thanks ma5aru.

I am thinking of:

(2011 G37x Moonlight White Pearl)
(The paint is in good shape but does have some degree of swirls that are hard to see on the white paint)

1. Iron X
2. Clay
3. 1-Step polish with PC7424XP, Optimum Polish II, flat white Lake County pads.
4. Carpro Eraser/IPA wipedown
5. Seal with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or other high quality sealant.

The worry I have, is that I heard you should not compound/polish scratch shield paint for three years until it fully hardens and loses is self healing properties naturally. I guess I would be destroying the self healing properties by polishing?

The other problem I am having is seeing the swirls on Moonlight White paint. I have only seen swirls on the car once. The full sun hit the hood at a perfect angle and I saw that the car did have minimal/moderate swirls.

I have a Coast 1000 lumen LED flashlight to see swirls but have not pulled it into the garage to see if it works on white yet. Seems to work well for black/red paint.

Drew