Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Can Some Pro Detailers Comment on a Newb's First Full Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
KENNEDY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can Some Pro Detailers Comment on a Newb's First Full Detail?

Hey Guys

I'll be forward and say I'm a newb when it comes to detailing- The most I've done is maintained weekly wash and monthly sealant, and religiously reading this forum lol.

But I just ordered my first brand new (black) car and wanted to start off with the best care to keep the paint perfect and help prevent swirls. So any advice/confirmation would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the process I'm considering:
1. Be careful and let the paint finish curing/gassing out for a coule weeks (since it will be off the truck into my garage).

2. Wash with MG's GC shampoo, dry with waffle weave mf towel.

3. Clay with Clay Magic Blue Fine Grade and a solution of ONR & water.

4. Re-wash.

5. 2-3 Coats of Duragloss 111 with MF application pad.

Then weekly washes, another layer of sealant every month or two, then Clay/Seal again every 6-8 months.

Also, I decided on Duragloss 111 because I'm most concerned with long lasting, and what I've read lead me to believe on a well prepped surface, this sealant combines durability as well as the suran wrap look that I like.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated to ease my mind that I'm doing it right!

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
The paint will be cured before it makes it into your garage.

If you're not somewhat familiar with detailing, that new black car is will make and break you . I've used many products over the years. Zaino is by far my favorite brand. With the exception of a few meguiars productions in the cabinet, Zaino waxes seem to be the best for my Malbec Black color. Interior I usually stick with Chemical Guys, Aerospace and Lexol for the seats.

Your process sounds good. Meguiars gold class is a good choice, but I think the ultimate is a little better. best of luck... and welcome!

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 02-13-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Don't forget 2 bucket method with grit guard for washing. You might not need to clay the vehicle. Wash it first, than check how the paint feels, if it's rough than you'll need to clay.

Also make sure the dealership does not "wash" your car before you pick it up.

You're in for a treat with a black car. It's one of the biggest pain in the butt to keep clean..but one of the most rewarding when it is actually clean.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Wheelzntoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great for new car prep:

2011 M3, New Car Prep, Opti-Coat 2.0 Application, Install Appearance Mods – Detailed Image

I would also do IronX before clay and light polish after claying, especially for black vehicle.

Silver vehicles are more forgiving.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM
KENNEDY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I will check out those links when I'm home from work and not on my phone.

I did buy a grit guard, I tried it out yesterday with the two bucket method and it seemed to work pretty good. Plenty of dirt was underneath it when I was done. However, the soapy water bucket was a little murky towards the end. But then again the owner of this car only gets it washed after an oil change at the dealership, so I don't think my car will get that dirty haha.

And regarding clay, I may not need to, but figured it'd be good to have a perfectly prepped surface for the first coat of sealant I read that fine grade is the easier to use because its much more forgiving marring wise. Do you still think a polish would be good afterwards?