Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Should I undercoat my car for storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
BlueOnyxBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I undercoat my car for storage?

Hi guys, I had a thread a few days ago on tips to store my babe for the winter. I have a 2008 g37s. Immaculate condition, with only 27000 Kms. It's only been spring and summer driven. Has never seen the winter here in Canada. Under my car there's a bit of rust, so I was thinking of getting krown rust proof on it, but I have a few questions. Is it make sense to do it now, when the car is being stored. I know moisture is everywhere, but will rusting be significant in the few months I store it. The car has never been under coated btw. I want to wait until the summer when it's less busy so they can spend more and for the product to be more effective (heat is good for absorption). I'm essentially just looking for reassurance! Thanks guys! Also, can you undercoat a car that has a bit of rust already? Just curious... Sorry if this seems a bit rambled I'm on my iphone at work!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The answer to your last question is a big NO. Make sure that all rust is somehow neutralized or dealt with before you put any undercoating on the car. Just covering up rust will not make it go away. You should get it repaired by sanding it free of the rust, put a treatment on it similar to "Metalpep" which neutralizes and combines with the rust to form a stable compound which is paintable. It should then be primed, and painted to seal off the steel from the elements. The paint doesn't have to be shiny by the way. Now you can put on the undercoating to add more protection. Be careful at who does this for you and doesn't end up spraying over the exhaust system, suspension pieces, brake lines, rotors, tires and rims and so on. Remember you or someone else will have to work on this car some day and under-coating on all the unnecessary parts makes the job harder and more costly. Given how you described your car, I'm sure you want it done correctly. It seems strange however since most new cars don't need undercoating unless the area has been damaged.

Al
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 PM
ondatrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes go to Krown and get your car done,im sure you know that they just dont do the undercarrige but also inside doors,trunk lid,fenders.Their formula creeps into all the small crevices on your car so rust wont start.Just did mine and I also dont drive in winter,I have a 2008 with 37000 kms.If you dont want them to to your engine bay just tell them to leave it alone,as I did.It wont have a warranty because of it but thats ok by me.