Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Advice for a "car bra"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
stanv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a "car bra"?

I'm not sure what this thing is correctly called, but I heard about it. It's basically like a transparent wallpaper (best way I can think of explaining it) that's supposed to protect your bumper from scratches and such.

Is it any good and worth it? (Obviously not against any crazy dents but I live in NYC and people can't park if their ****ing life depended on it) I leave my car in a parking lot overnight but when I go out or whatnot I hate having the constant fear of leaving the car parked outside.

Any recommendations on sites or specifics (price, brands, size/style, etc...)?

Or would you guys recommend something else?
I'm thinking of getting this for the back and for the front getting this thing:

Any comments on that thing too?

Thanks for any advice. I'd kill someone if they scratched up my ****ing bumper
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 AM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
It's called clear bra. It won't protect your car if someone accidentally scrapes it. It's mainly there for protection from rock chips and such.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 AM
stanv

Originally Posted by LegitMW
It's called clear bra. It won't protect your car if someone accidentally scrapes it. It's mainly there for protection from rock chips and such.
Really? Damn, I thought I found a way not to make my bumper look like someone **** on it and not worry about some moron parking behind me.

Any advice on what would be helpful? I was debating on the bumper badger but the main part of your car that would get damaged are the corners by the tail lights and the bumper badger doesn't cover that area so I have no clue what to do.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 AM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by stanv
Really? Damn, I thought I found a way not to make my bumper look like someone **** on it and not worry about some moron parking behind me.

Any advice on what would be helpful? I was debating on the bumper badger but the main part of your car that would get damaged are the corners by the tail lights and the bumper badger doesn't cover that area so I have no clue what to do.
Set up some cones around it ! But on the serious note, there's not really much you can do. If you HAVE to park in the street, here is what I did when I had to park in the horrible bumper to bumper streets of LA.

• I would either find a curb where it's only enough to fit 1 or 2 cars that way I can park the entire spot myself or at least greatly reduce the risk since only 1 car can park in front or behind me.
  • Park in the very front or very end of the curb. (Ex. If you're at the very front of the curb, no one can reverse into you. And for the back, the opposite.
  • But mostly I just parked between my friends cars or park a little further away in a more peaceful street with less activity. But then again, depending where you live you might end up getting your wheels stolen or something. You have to be really careful when it comes to parking on the streets. Best of luck :/
Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Mayu

I park at the back or leave room behind me. Reason is, you will most often get a noticeable ding on the back bumper as someone tries to parallel park. When leaving, they will most likely scratch the back drivers side. It seems like the back is most susceptible to damage. When it comes to the front, chances are when they back into the spot and hit you, their bumper will greet your license plate (assuming you have one) and scratch their own back bumper. Also, I figure the front bumper is already assaulted by rock chips and most likely to get a fresh layer of paint. I try to keep the back bumper the safest.

Remember, you can't prevent others from being careless and ignorant so you need to decide which/what you are willing to live with.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 AM
stanv

Right I absolutely agree and understand what you guys are saying. I'd obviously rather spend the time looking for a spot by the end/start of the sidewalk and whatnot. And I typically try to park by nice cars rather than old and abused looking cars. Overnight it's in a lot, but when going out and whatnot I have no choice cause I'm not made of money to park in NYC lots and some nights it's almost impossible to find a spot in crowded areas and when I do, now I have the additional worry to make sure my bumpers will be fine.

It's upsetting that there's nothing you can do :'(
Besides that ugly **** that attaches to the corners of your bumper but that is staying FAR from my car.