Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Using an Orbital Buffer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 PM
LoveLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using an Orbital Buffer

I'm new to car detailing, and I just recently purchased an orbital buffer from autozone for $25. I'd like to know when in the detailing process should I be using the buffer. Should I use the buffer to apply the polish after wash/dry? Should I also use it to apply sealant? How often should I use it?

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:36 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check this website out: everything you need to know about detailing.

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store
Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What I consider to be the best PC How-To available -Machine Polishing By Dual Action Polisher, Dave KG – Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
KC G37x

I have also never used a polishing tool, but I plan on getting a dual-action polisher to remove the swirls on my 2009 G37. I don't have large enough scratches to warrant me buying a circular tool and running the risk of burning the paint, but I do have a question about dual-action; is there a limit to how much you can use the tool? For instance, if I polish now, and then notice swirling in a year or so, do I run any risk polishing the same area multiple times?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KC G37x
I have also never used a polishing tool, but I plan on getting a dual-action polisher to remove the swirls on my 2009 G37. I don't have large enough scratches to warrant me buying a circular tool and running the risk of burning the paint, but I do have a question about dual-action; is there a limit to how much you can use the tool? For instance, if I polish now, and then notice swirling in a year or so, do I run any risk polishing the same area multiple times?
The amount of clear coat removed by 'normal' polishing utilizing an orbital polisher should not compromise the paint, but there is a finite amount that you can safely remove - “Clear Coat Thickness and UV Protection Removed by Polishing” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...-removal.html#
Old 11-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Unfortunately many of those less expensive units don't have the necessary power to work in a polish properly and some of those bonnets may not be ideal for the paint. I'd highly recommend considering a Porter Cable 7424 XP if you want to be sure you'll get great results. Either way I'd suggest our detailing guide should have a lot of good information for you, especially the Polishing section. I'd also highly recommend checking out our Ask a Pro Blog, which has tons of good articles about maximizing a buffer direct from elite professional detailers. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM
dkmesa350z
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
first step would be returning that $25 buffer.

Give this Porter Cable 7424XP a try.

You will want to use it to apply polishes for correcting paint imperfections. You can use is to apply glazes and sealants for ease of application using a softer pad and lower speed setting.

Meguiars M105 is my favorite cut compound for correcting swirl marks and moderate imperfections with a orange buffer pad. Then use Meguiars M205 to clear out any hazing and bring out a brilliant shine with a white buffer pad.

Last edited by dkmesa350z; 11-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Moonlight_White

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Unfortunately many of those less expensive units don't have the necessary power to work in a polish properly and some of those bonnets may not be ideal for the paint. I'd highly recommend considering a Porter Cable 7424 XP if you want to be sure you'll get great results. Either way I'd suggest our detailing guide should have a lot of good information for you, especially the Polishing section. I'd also highly recommend checking out our Ask a Pro Blog, which has tons of good articles about maximizing a buffer direct from elite professional detailers. Good luck!

Greg @ DI