Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

First Time Using Porter Cable Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tomb18
I started today myself. I am using Menzerna Micro polish with an orange pad. My first time. So far I just did the spoiler! All of the scratches and swirls are gone, just a couple hard water spots remain. I am using a speed of 3 with little pressure. Am I on the right track? I find it hard to know when to stop polishing, but at some point it seems that the polisher will start to not be so smooth. I then give it a shot of detailer as a lube.

Thanks
If you are referring to the Menzerna Micro Polish SF 4500 (PO85RD) that is much more commonly used with a black or blue pad because they are very soft. This is one of the finest polishes on the market since it has such light polishing power. The orange pad is more commonly used with a medium cutting polish like the Menzerna SI 1500 or the Meguiar's M105. If you need more polishing power pick up the Menzerna SI 1500 and use that with the green pad and follow that up with the SF 4500 and a black or blue pad.

Here is a pad guide for future reference:
Surbuf R Series - Heavy Cutting Polishes
Yellow and Purple Foam - Medium to Heavy Cutting Polishes
Orange and Cyan - Medium Cutting Polishes
Green - Light Cutting Polishes
White and Tangerine - Polishing Pad for Light Polishes, AIO
Black and Crimson - Fine Polishing Pad for Glazes, Sealants and Liquid Waxes
Blue - Ultra Fine Polishing Pad for Liquid Waxes and Sealants

In general I do not use any quick detailer or clay lube unless the pad is fresh. Generally the Menzerna polishes will become more thin and clear after they have been worked in. As for speeds I generally polish at speed 4 - 6 with a PC.

For more tips and detailing advice check out our detailing guide and Ask a Pro Blog. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI