Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help ran over paint, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
ran over paint, need some advice

So this morning on the way to work, in my neighborhood someone spilled a large bucket of paint across the entire road and didn't bother to wash it up or clean it off. It was a beige mud color, since it had been raining last night I figured it was mud and didn't worry about it. Got to the parking garage and noticed it smelled like paint, saw it was all over the tires, sides of the car, wheel wells, etc... Car looked like I went mudding with spray down the sides and wheel wells. (spalsh guards are now on order).

sat there and tried to wipe it off with some wet cloths and realized there was just too much on the car, called my boss and told him I had to go to the carwash because I ran over paint and it's everywhere and I don't want it to dry. Luckily he was sympathetic and had no issues with me being late.

Spent about 30 minutes at one of those self spray/wash stations, threw in $10 worth of quarters and just high pressure sprayed everything the best I could. I got everything off the paint, as much as I could reach from the undercarriage, will have to jack it up tonight and clean I imagine, most out of the wheel wells, but that will take some more work as well.

So now my issue is, the paint is still in the tire treads and some leftover splatter in the wheel wells I just couldn't get to wearing work clothes without ruining them. I imagine by the time I get home to do a thorough job, pull the tires, and clean it all it'll be dried.

Any products or techniques to get this stuff off, I'm not sure if it is oil or water based, I feel like it may be oil based as the pressure from the water was the main thing that got it off. The paint is fine now, its mainly on rubber/plastics.

BTW, I wanted to, but couldn't find the non-emergency police number to report the paint as it went across the entire road, I'm sure my car wasn't the only one that got a custom "mud colored paint job" today. I'm lame and still don't have internet on my phone and I wasn't about to call 911.

On the bright side, at least it wasn't pink or purple, if some gets left it'll just look muddy.

Oh and did I mention my car is 2 weeks old never fails, first brand new car I've ever gotten.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Latex Paint Removal

Try removal in this order-
1. D-limonene based (citrus) based detergent cleaner - (P21S Total Auto Wash) may help; be sure to allow plenty of dwell time.
2. Solvents - dwell time is important, start mild with (3M™ Adhesive and Wax Remover or DuPont Prep Sol 3919)
3. Detailers clay – start with a medium and progress to a heavy grade
4. Plastic razor blade to abrade the surface of dried paint with a plastic (ScrapeRite blades) or use single-sided razor blade
5. A combination of the plastic blade or detailers clay and a solvent, be patient and work small areas when practical.
6. The painted surfaces are frequently easier than anticipated, however the rubber and vinyl trim pieces may take more time / patience.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for the tips, got most of it off the wheel wells, need to take some time to pull the tires and do the tread now.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
janepaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for sharing such useful tips..
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by janepaul
thanks for sharing such useful tips..
Knowledge unshared is Experience wasted...