Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dealer ruined my paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 AM
OLPEMI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer ruined my paint

Hello, I need your help

I just bought a pre-owned 08 G37S Coupe.
They said they were going to take care of my car and buffed the crap out of it.
Now it has swirl marks everyyyyywhereeee.

It is currently raining in Dallas, and I will post pictures tomorrow..

Thing is.. I have only done light car washes and I don't have any spare money to buy all these fancy kits/products posted on the forum from my Search.

Maybe I didn't search enough, but can someone direct me to economical way to make my car look nice and shiny?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The only way to rid your poor car of the swirl marks and light scratches is machine polishing. If you don't want to invest time and money in purchasing all of the tools and products and learning how to use them properly yourself, find a competent detailer. There's not really any magic product or technique to fix what's been done to your car.

I do detailing if you are able to come to the Houston area. I finished an '08 Liquid Platinum G37 coupe this past weekend and the customer (a forum member here) was very happy with the results. I was able to remove his swirls, light scratches, and also shadows/scratches where he'd removed a painted pinstripe himself. If you're interested, PM me. I'd recommend a local detailer for you but I don't know of any personally in the DFW area to send you to. Good luck. And obviously you've learned to never ever let the dealership do any washing or "detailing" on your car. All they will do is damage your finish and curb your wheels.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like BB said = machine polishing. Either yourself, or find someone to do it.

But...if the dealer did it, why can't you bring it back to them? They have the people and resources to do this correctly if that was part of your purchase deal.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
Like BB said = machine polishing. Either yourself, or find someone to do it.

But...if the dealer did it, why can't you bring it back to them? They have the people and resources to do this correctly if that was part of your purchase deal.
Actually they probably don't. That's why they screwed it up the first time. At most dealerships detailing means running it through the automated car wash with recycled water and harsh chemicals (that damages your wheels and scratches the hell out of your paint) and having a porter dry it with a dirty terry cloth towel and wipe some liquid wax of dubious quality on your car. That's why the vast majority of the time when they try to "fix" it, it only comes out worse. The people working on your car don't have the tools, products, or expertise to do it right. There may be some dealerships that do a good job, but none that I know of.

The best thing he can get from the dealership is if he takes it in and shows them the problem and complains until they agree to pay for him to have it detailed by a real professional who actually knows how to fix it. Think of how many examples have been posted on the forum of the dealership "fixing" a bad detail and only making it worse.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with both of the above 50/50.

If the dealer swirled the s*** out of your paint and it was not like that prior. I'd return and demand they are held responsible. But like BB said, have them pay a deatailer of your choice or write a check. Don't let them do it.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the cost of you to pay someone to fix it, you could just about get everything you need to do it yourself. Then you have the tools for the future too...or to use on any other vehicles you may have.
The other part of the equation is having the time to learn and do it right...if you don't have that or the aptitude, then it would be worth paying someone.
But if the dealer screwed it up, you should hold them accountable for it and let them pay to fix it.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your dealer is a car seller, not a car mechanic, or a car detailer, or anything else. They just sell cars. Owning a bucket of water and a washcloth doesn't make them a detailer. Don't let them butcher your car again; take it to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe my response is a little late, but I agree that dealers are at best irresponsible when it comes to detailing your car. I have seen dealers that have car washes for customers on Saturday's, the guys that do this generally use dirty rags, buckets, and drying towels that I wouldn't use on any car. My advice, in general, is to not have a dealer detail your car, period.

Not that my comments make you feel any better, but you should take the car to a good detailer, show them the car, and find out what it would cost to correct the paint. Be prepared to pay at least $100 or more.

Good Luck
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i didnt notice on my g, but when i bought my sti it looked like they washed it with a bag or rocks. cover in swirls and scatches of various depth. Im an amateur detailed at best, got a portercable, various pads and i liike to experience with polishes and junk. If you are able to set aside... i dunno a sunday to learn how to do all the work, purchasing the tools will be cheaper and its very rewarding imo.