Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Chanllenge in wiping bird poops off~ any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Chanllenge in wiping bird poops off~ any recommendations?

Hey G37 friends hope you enjoyed a nice weekend

well I've this concern or challenge facing wiping bird poop off, due to my work place parking lot has no internal structure, it's on a hill side as well, so tons of bird poop on my car.

Q: Can i wipe off by using the Clorox® Wipes? I know there is bleach materials in it but will it hurt my paint?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the detailing section of this forum. Your best bet is to keep a bottle of quick detailer in your car, along with a quality microfiber towel, and just remove the contamination as quickly as you can.

Personally I would never recommend using bleach on your car, or anything designed for cleaning things other than paint.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Itchytoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest running through one of those get out and spray your car type car washes. Just rinse the bird poop off. Don't use the soap or anything like that.
Using some kind of wipe like the ones you mentioned will undoubtedly cause some fine scratches in your paint and swirl marks and the like.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG

Check out the detailing section of this forum. Your best bet is to keep a bottle of quick detailer in your car, along with a quality microfiber towel, and just remove the contamination as quickly as you can.

Personally I would never recommend using bleach on your car, or anything designed for cleaning things other than paint.

same recommandation for Quick Detailer from Meguiars
Old 10-23-2011, 03:25 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just use a spray bottle of drinking water (to avoid white spots).
Old 10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
+1 for quick detailer. I always have a bottle and a microfiber in my trunk. takes bird poop out easily.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Bottle of quick detailer and a micro fiber cloth are a must.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another vote for quick detailer and microfibre towels. I also keep a container of clay in my trunk just in case it's needed.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:33 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Thanks guys!
moments ago i just using microfibers re-wet washed my car and applied wax on there.
I do have the Quick Detailer and will follow this along with a dry microfiber

btw, will dry microfiber leaves swirls even with quick detailer?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What?

Spray and wipe gently. Don't rub in. Just literally spray, wipe away. Don't use back and forth motions, that will induce swirls. Always try to use a clean portion of the towel.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
Thanks guys!
moments ago i just using microfibers re-wet washed my car and applied wax on there.
I do have the Quick Detailer and will follow this along with a dry microfiber

btw, will dry microfiber leaves swirls even with quick detailer?
No. A good microfiber towel (ie:not cheap) is tailor made for car detalling but if you rub some of that bird crap too hard into the paint when cleaning you will leave marks. Some bird crap is rock hard and is a bitch to get out no matter how much spray you use if it sits there long enough in the sun.

You live in a year round warm climate (lucky you, if I didn't have to deal with those Canadian winters I would be waxing every month) so apply a good wax or sealant every 6-8 weeks or so. Most waxes takes less than a hour to apply on your entire car after you wash it. There is no excuse not to do it if you are that concerned about your paint. Not only will it help protect your paint from UV rays, tree sap and road salt but with wax it is much easier to get off that dried bird crap that feels like cement with one easy wipe.

Sites like Autopia or Autogeek are very helpful with detailing info and car detailing can become a very addicting hobby once you get into it. It's reletively cheap to do, good exercise and best of all your car always looks fantastic and gives you a sense of accomplishment.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:41 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Bird crap is highly acidic and will etch the clear coat if not removed quickly, especially when it's hot. A coat of wax helps. The microfiber towel and detailer is a great idea. The sooner you are able to remove the poop - the better.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
G37Vert

Quick detailer and a microfiber are your friends.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Their main food source in summer is mostly insects and seeds, in the winter/ spring it’s berries, which are very acidic, and if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces)

Birds use gravel to help digest their food, predatory birds (owls, hawks, etc hunt and kill mice and small animals, so ground light weight bone fragments, sand and grit are some of the major components, which can cause scratching.
Avoid using a quick detailer (QD) spray or a sealant to flush residue, as they usually contain either carnauba wax or polymers, which will seal in the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed as quickly as possible. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated by moisture and heat.

• Limonene (citrus-based) cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) will both emulsify and neutralize the acid or use an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water as soon as is practical is highly recommended.

Bird Excrement - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1454023

Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Their main food source in summer is mostly insects and seeds, in the winter/ spring it’s berries, which are very acidic, and if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces)

Birds use gravel to help digest their food, predatory birds (owls, hawks, etc hunt and kill mice and small animals, so ground light weight bone fragments, sand and grit are some of the major components, which can cause scratching.
Avoid using a quick detailer (QD) spray or a sealant to flush residue, as they usually contain either carnauba wax or polymers, which will seal in the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed as quickly as possible. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated by moisture and heat.

• Limonene (citrus-based) cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) will both emulsify and neutralize the acid or use an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water as soon as is practical is highly recommended.

Bird Excrement - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1454023

Great info!

i feel I'm becoming more smarter hanging around with G37 friends here haha~ its more like a science learning opportunity!

well, today, it rains a little bit, now what would I do after work today? just re-wax the whole car again? or will the rain contains acid from air? (just a little shower about 4 mins or so)

Quick Reply: Chanllenge in wiping bird poops off~ any recommendations?