Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Chanllenge in wiping bird poops off~ any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
G37Vert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Their main food source in summer is mostly insects and seeds, in the winter/ spring it’s berries, which are very acidic, and if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces)

Birds use gravel to help digest their food, predatory birds (owls, hawks, etc hunt and kill mice and small animals, so ground light weight bone fragments, sand and grit are some of the major components, which can cause scratching.
Avoid using a quick detailer (QD) spray or a sealant to flush residue, as they usually contain either carnauba wax or polymers, which will seal in the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed as quickly as possible. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated by moisture and heat.

• Limonene (citrus-based) cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) will both emulsify and neutralize the acid or use an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water as soon as is practical is highly recommended.

Bird Excrement - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1454023
Very interesting. I guess I'm glad I don't do as I say since I said QD and MF are your friends. I actually use a mixture of Optimum No Rinse and a microfiber, so in essence I'm washing the **** off the car.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Vert
Very interesting. I guess I'm glad I don't do as I say since I said QD and MF are your friends. I actually use a mixture of Optimum No Rinse and a microfiber, so in essence I'm washing the **** off the car.
ONR contain a surfactant that 'lifts' the dirt and enables it to be rinsed / wiped away without causing scratches to the surface
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
jmark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
+1 for quick detailer. I always have a bottle and a microfiber in my trunk. takes bird poop out easily.
Same here.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I nJoy Rice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Their main food source in summer is mostly insects and seeds, in the winter/ spring it’s berries, which are very acidic, and if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces)

Birds use gravel to help digest their food, predatory birds (owls, hawks, etc hunt and kill mice and small animals, so ground light weight bone fragments, sand and grit are some of the major components, which can cause scratching.
Avoid using a quick detailer (QD) spray or a sealant to flush residue, as they usually contain either carnauba wax or polymers, which will seal in the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed as quickly as possible. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated by moisture and heat.

• Limonene (citrus-based) cleaner (P21S Total Auto Wash) will both emulsify and neutralize the acid or use an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water as soon as is practical is highly recommended.

Bird Excrement - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1454023

What is the ratio of baking soda to water do you recommend?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I nJoy Rice
What is the ratio of baking soda to water do you recommend?
(Highly technical formula) Enough that it makes a fairly runny paste