Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Recommendations to Protect Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Swacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations to Protect Paint

I'm going to be picking up an IPL here soon, and have a question regarding how to best protect the front bumper, hood, side mirror, and the rest of the paint in general from rock chips and other corrosive things that can come up at it during driving conditions.

I'm aware that there are clear bras, but what is the recommended amount of the car to cover with the clear bra? I've seen people only cover, say, 1/3 of the hood and IMO it looks awful and makes the hood look 2 different colors when dirty. So how much should be done, does the dealership offer this before taking possession of the car, and what kind of prices are reasonable?

A buddy of mine picked up a 2011 Mustang GT C/S earlier this year and Ford offered a polymer spray that functioned as a layer that protects that paint from chips. He's driven it alreayd 10,000 miles, and has only 1 chip on the car. Is this something Infiniti offers, or anywhere else? Has anyone ever had this done to their car? I worry about it also effecting the self-healing paint that the car has. Anyone with experience regarding this or could speak about it?

I just would like to protect my car as best I can so I don't worry about "patching" up chips every time I take it for a drive.

Help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
no spray or sealant will protect it. clear bra the whole car to protect it from stone chips
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A member of ours used the clear bra on the whole front of his car.... Looks oem. Other than that there's nothing you can do. Just don't drive lol, and Infiniti has the best paint..... Not!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Infiniti has some of the softest paint, chances are if you don't have the dealership install a clear bra you'll most likely get a chip within the first week of driving depending where you live. I went about 3" up on the hood, covered the complete front bumper. My mirrors are exposed but haven't seen damage yet.

Last edited by RYs06MT; 10-03-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Soliditude

Clear-bra is your best bet. If it's done properly, you won't be able to tell that it's even there. Mine is so invisible that unless I tell someone, no one ever notices. And even those who notice, they'd much rather notice a clear-bra than a bunch of rock-chips. That is the only and the best way to go. Get it done by someone who knows what they're doing and you won't even be able to tell that it's there.

Generally, the hood is covered 1/3 because rock-chips won't reach further than that.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Swacer

What kind of a price am I looking at to get the front bumper, mirrors, and 1/3 of the hood done? Guesstimates are fine.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I paid about 600 for VentureShield installed on my LE sedan, covering the whole front bumper, halfway up the fenders and hood, and the mirrors.

The dealer I got the car from has an outside guy come in and apply.

It looks pretty good.....my only regret is not covering the whole hood and fenders because of the line that you will inevitably see against the dark colored paint. Once its washed and clean its fairly hard to tell, but it gets dirty quickly so you see it again.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Swacer

Other concern I have, is there a bra kit made for the IPL? Or will they cut it there?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Swacer
Other concern I have, is there a bra kit made for the IPL? Or will they cut it there?
My LE has almost the same aero kit as your IPL...it looks like a kit does exist, or the installer did an excellent job with cutting rounded corners from straight material (my guess is the kit does exist)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Here are the available pieces.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Swacer

My only concern is that the picture above is for 2008-2010, and the IPL has a different bumper and body kit...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
My only concern is that the picture above is for 2008-2010, and the IPL has a different bumper and body kit...
This was just to show what areas can be covered. I am sure the manufactures have updated the pattern software for newer cars.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:33 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO the installation of paint protection film (PPF) is not a DIY type job, its better left to a professional installation company
Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Swacer

Ok, I apologize for more questions. But I have another...

If I was to have the bra applied to the car, how do you take care of it? As in, when you wax the car, do you wax the bra also? Does it still create the same beautiful shine, even after the bra is applied? Will this fade in time? How do you take care of one?

I guess my question is, how do you take care of it so that when you detail the car, so that the entire car shines just the same, in places where the bra is and isn't applied?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Ok, I apologize for more questions. But I have another...

If I was to have the bra applied to the car, how do you take care of it? As in, when you wax the car, do you wax the bra also? Does it still create the same beautiful shine, even after the bra is applied? Will this fade in time? How do you take care of one?

I guess my question is, how do you take care of it so that when you detail the car, so that the entire car shines just the same, in places where the bra is and isn't applied?
Just wax the car with a good carnuba wax and you will be fine. I recommend my clients use Zaino... and I also offer a bottle of sealant with every install purchased. Make sure you go with a good film. I recommend VentureShield Ultra and Avery Nano Fusion. I always test the new films out and these are the two best out right now... although I hear the new Xpel Ultimate film is very good. Havent tested it yet though so I cant speak personally for it.

And yes the film will shine just the same as the uncovered areas.

Quick Reply: Help Recommendations to Protect Paint