Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Do wax\sealants and polish have an expiry date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do wax\sealants and polish have an expiry date?

1st post here guys after getting my 2011 black G37 yesterday and found this site to be very useful. I used to love detailing my last new car but after a few years I lost the motivation to do it regularly especially after you start getting a few dings and scratches here and there.

Now that I have a new car again, I'm getting the detailing bug again so I was wondering if there is a best before date on waxes and polish. I used Klasse All in One Polish, Sealant Gaze and P21S wax and that worked well for me. I still have about 50% left of each one but they are about 7 or 8 years old. Can they go bad or are they as effective as when they are new?

And are they readily available in stores now or can you still only order them online? Thanx in advance.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Shelf-Life

Providing their contains have a tight seal and are not compromised by fractures or (air) leaks

a) Polymers have a shelf life of approx 3-5 years if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above

b) Polish - technically 2 years, providing the bottle is kept closed, and the product has not separated or the solvents haven’t evaporated by leaching ( the bottle will become semi- collapsed) there should be no problem with use for three years after sale date

c) Waxes - will last almost indefinitely, provided that they are stored a sealed in their original containers and in the refrigerator or controlled environment once opened. The liquids should last 18 months if stored at normal room temperature.

d) Detailing Chemicals (Wheel cleaners, All purpose cleaners (APC) and etc) have an almost indefinite shelf life if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above, see also Product separation

e) Product separation If product emulsion separates it could be indicative of age (but not necessarily past its useful life) shake vigorously for 5-10 minutes and see if the product re- mixes.

Product shelf -life may vary from one manufacturer to another, if in doubt check with product mfg or vendor.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you. So I guess my P21S is still good. Any recommendations on a good polish and sealant that is readily available I can get at Walmart et al. I'm leery of buying anything online anymore.