Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Newbie first time using clay bar what polish and or wax to apply??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:21 AM
trulegend
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie first time using clay bar what polish and or wax to apply??

Hi guys

I am newbie and first time using clay bar, I have seen couple of videos on you tube which shows how to apply clay bar.

I picked up mothers clay bar kit from walmart the other day.

Once I apply the clay bar what polish and wax should I use that can be found in my local walmart?

What type of buffer or applicator should I use??

I don't want to spend hours doing this so a laundry list is not going to work. I want the basic stuff to try out first and see if I have the patience to do this

Thx in advance
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 AM
Emon Crew

If you're going to stick to applying local polish from walmart I'd say go with Meguiars ultimate polish followed by NXT 2.0 wax. you should look into getting a porter cable 7424xp or a flex, and then there's a buncha pads by lake country. Check with Detailed image, they have a lot of great kits and packages. I just finished claying my car today, going to polish tomorrow with Manzerna super intensive polish followed by a finer menzerna polish, sealant...maybe glaze if im still up for it, and some dodo juice wax. Good luck

(btw with your clay bar, break it in half, use one half for the upper part of the car, and the other half for the lower half of the car)
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have never heard of waxing with clay bars. I guess I am from the old school. Can someone fill me in on this process a bit?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Claybarring a car removes the dirt and grime that is on the car after you wash it. If you take a plastic zip lock back and put your Hand in it and rub across the car you'll feel all that dirt. Clay bar removes all of that to give your car a nice smooth feel.

If you're a beginner a great Buffer is a random orbital like griots. I love it and it will not burn through your paint.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
6" or 3" buffer? I am figuring the 6" but thought I would ask.

Oh and is around $130.00 a decent price for the 6"?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Emon Crew

If you're going to spend that much, get a porter cable 7424xp and watch some YouTube videos on how to use it
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Do I have to polish and wax after clay?

Just wondering if it is a must to polish and wax if don't will I harm paint?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Emon Crew

Yea definately polish and wax. Claybar strips all ur wax and leaves ur clear exposed so polishing would be nice to take out some swirls and the wax for sure to protect your paint.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
this is a helpful thread! thanks everyone!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Emon Crew
Yea definately polish and wax. Claybar strips all ur wax and leaves ur clear exposed so polishing would be nice to take out some swirls and the wax for sure to protect your paint.
one of the youtube videos i seen showed them dipping the clay bar in the bucket of water filled with soap to softening the clay bar.

is that something that should be done? or us the quick detailer which comes with the kit?

Also i cannot find NXT 2.0 wax in my local walmart, any other wax do you recommend that is easily available locally?

When i polish do i have to wait to put the wax or i can put it immediately?

thx
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Emon Crew

Just use the quick detailer, it should be enough.

Try Meguiars gold class carnuba or meguiars ultimate liquid wax...you should be able to find that at walmart.

you can put the wax on after u polish, there's no wait time. You usually have to wait only if you use sealant, which in your case you're not using.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
pattyballs

1. Wash your Car
2. Clay your car (use a generous amount of quick detail so the clay easily slided over the car. At first it will feel as if you are rubbing it over bits of sand/dirt. This is normal, keep working that area until it is smooth and does not feel gritty anymore.
3. Wipe the whole car dry
4. Polish the car (Although not as effective as using a machine polisher, such as the porter cable, you can use foam applicator pads which can be purchased at walmart and other local auto stores) A good polish from walmart is Meguiars Ultimate Polish.
5. After polishing it is best to rinse off your car again to remove any residue left behind.
6. Wax the car (you can use the same foam applicator to apply the wax. A good choice of wax from walmart is Meguiars Ultimate wax.

That is a basic little run through of the process you can use to get good results, given the circumstances. (No machine, and store bought products) Depending on your goals, i would suggest picking up a machine polisher(porter cable), and some products from sites such as detailedimage.com if you are looking for results. I have tried almost all store bought products and none can really compare to some products you can find online and for around the same prices.

If you decide to buy a few products online, i would suggest Meguiars M105, Meguiars M205, and a wax such as P21s concours Carnauba wax.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 PM
trulegend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pattyballs
1. Wash your Car
2. Clay your car (use a generous amount of quick detail so the clay easily slided over the car. At first it will feel as if you are rubbing it over bits of sand/dirt. This is normal, keep working that area until it is smooth and does not feel gritty anymore.
3. Wipe the whole car dry
4. Polish the car (Although not as effective as using a machine polisher, such as the porter cable, you can use foam applicator pads which can be purchased at walmart and other local auto stores) A good polish from walmart is Meguiars Ultimate Polish.
5. After polishing it is best to rinse off your car again to remove any residue left behind.
6. Wax the car (you can use the same foam applicator to apply the wax. A good choice of wax from walmart is Meguiars Ultimate wax.

That is a basic little run through of the process you can use to get good results, given the circumstances. (No machine, and store bought products) Depending on your goals, i would suggest picking up a machine polisher(porter cable), and some products from sites such as detailedimage.com if you are looking for results. I have tried almost all store bought products and none can really compare to some products you can find online and for around the same prices.

If you decide to buy a few products online, i would suggest Meguiars M105, Meguiars M205, and a wax such as P21s concours Carnauba wax.
thx you for this,

couple of follow up questions, can the polish and wax be done outdoors in the sun? or has to be in indoors? I can use machine polisher when waxing as well?

I plan on doing this in a week or so, can you please provide me some links to the detailed image side of basic things i would need for a newbie like myself including a machine polisher, if it will cost the same might as well get it online.

thx
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
SRG

Has to be 100% indoors and on a cool surface. The reason you get swirls in your paint is majority from car washes in the sun.... The paint is super hot and on top of that circular motion with towels, microfiber towels, whatever you use, causes more heat and more swirls. So only inside...or outside but when there is no sun and the car is cool to the touch
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
SRG

Honestly, as a newbie, get a griots. It's An amazing machine which will remove almost 90% of swirls. I detail cars with it and I love it.

Quick Reply: Newbie first time using clay bar what polish and or wax to apply??