Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

I'm Back after a long time and I need help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Emon Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Back after a long time and I need help...

Hey guys, so I was on the forums years ago when I first got my car, then I've been away for the past few years and have forgot a lot of things I once knew. I detailed my car last year using a pc7424xp with some lake country pads (I have a white pad, a black pad and an orange pad).

I remember back then when I did it, I got about 85% of the swirls out, as I think I didn't have the strongest pad? I forget which pad is for what now...can you shed some light on that again?

Also, I still have poorboys world EX sealant with carnuba, menzerna PO106FF polish, menzerna finishing touch glaze.

I'm planning on detailing again this week, I know the process starts with

1) washing
2) claying
3) polishing
4) sealing
5) waxing
6) glaze

Any quick refresher tips or suggestions? Should I buy a heavier cutting pad...if so, which one is it..the blue one?

any help

thanks
(btw I have an 08 IP coupe)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You may need a more abrasive polish

Test Panel Area

There are far too many variables to state this accurately. Regardless of the density of the paint you'll still need to polish it to remove scratches. The best method to establish what polish / pad combination you'll need is; diagnosis is the key; not guesswork; the differing density (hardness) of paints react differently to correction, so before beginning to polish measure the paint thickness (PTG) panel by pane to ensure that you do not select an aggressive polish that will reduce too much clear coat.

Then select a ‘typical’ panel; one that represents the type of defects that you want to remove and the finish level required. Select an area of 18 x 18-inches and tape it off with painter’s tape, as this is an optimal working section to perform a product test spot; this will help establish a polish – pad

combination that will produce the best possible finish that corresponds to your detailing goals for the vehicle. Pay attention to how the paint is responding to your inputs. Stop and evaluate your progress, once this is established; repeat the process over the entire paint surface, adjusting abrasiveness for any low paint thickness.

There may be some areas that have deeper scratches, which will necessitate a more abrasive polish. This is known a ‘spot-correction’. Once this area(s) are completed revert to the original polish / pad combination, there is no need to remove any more clear coat than is nessary
Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Emon Crew

Great advice, any recommendations on more abrasive polishes or pads?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Welcome back to detailing! Given what you have here is what I'd suggest for each step you listed:

1) Wash and Dry - Very important step here so don't rush through it with dirty tools. If you need to upgrade here are three great kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

2) Clay - Helps deep clean the paint and if you need a new bar and lube here is a great value DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

3) Polish - This is where you really create the shine and the PO106FF was tweaked to become the PO106FA which is now the Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000 (PO106FA Nano Polish). You can use just that and a Lake Country White Polishing Pad with your buffer for good results. If you want more noticeable correction power you may want to use the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish SI 1500 (PO83) and an orange pad before hand. This will remove more of the swirls and help bring a deeper shine, but follow up with the PO106FF and a clean white pad.

4.) Glaze - Generally a glaze is used here and you should be all set with the bottle you have and I typically use a black pad.

5.) Seal - You certainly can use the EX her but you'll get noticeable more protection with the some other options. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger are my two favorites and I apply them with a blue pad or with a foam app by hand. Both will protect for months and are very easy to work with.

6.) Wax - If you want more gloss and protection you can layer a wax on top of the sealant but wait at least one hour from when you buff off the excess sealant. Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax looks amazing on Ivory Pearl paint. If you want something more affordable try the Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Paste Wax.

If you need any more microfiber towels to remove the excess product I recommend about 6x - 12x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

Save 10% off (except on DI Packages, sale items and tools) with the coupon code 10offg37. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
welcome back
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Emon Crew

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Welcome back to detailing! Given what you have here is what I'd suggest for each step you listed:

1) Wash and Dry - Very important step here so don't rush through it with dirty tools. If you need to upgrade here are three great kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Advanced Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

2) Clay - Helps deep clean the paint and if you need a new bar and lube here is a great value DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

3) Polish - This is where you really create the shine and the PO106FF was tweaked to become the PO106FA which is now the Menzerna Super Finish Polish SF 4000 (PO106FA Nano Polish). You can use just that and a Lake Country White Polishing Pad with your buffer for good results. If you want more noticeable correction power you may want to use the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish SI 1500 (PO83) and an orange pad before hand. This will remove more of the swirls and help bring a deeper shine, but follow up with the PO106FF and a clean white pad.

4.) Glaze - Generally a glaze is used here and you should be all set with the bottle you have and I typically use a black pad.

5.) Seal - You certainly can use the EX her but you'll get noticeable more protection with the some other options. The Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant and Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger are my two favorites and I apply them with a blue pad or with a foam app by hand. Both will protect for months and are very easy to work with.

6.) Wax - If you want more gloss and protection you can layer a wax on top of the sealant but wait at least one hour from when you buff off the excess sealant. Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax looks amazing on Ivory Pearl paint. If you want something more affordable try the Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Paste Wax.

If you need any more microfiber towels to remove the excess product I recommend about 6x - 12x of the DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

Save 10% off (except on DI Packages, sale items and tools) with the coupon code 10offg37. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI

Thanks Greg, your post was AMAZING! Helped out a lot, I'm definitely going to pick up the Menzerna super intensive polish....Still don't know whether to continue to use the orange pad or upgrade to the stronger cyan pad? I think I'll try orange first and see how that goes. As for the wax...I saw that you also sell 30ml of Dodo juice diamond white hard wax. Would that be enough for one application on the entire car? Ive used NXT 2.0 wax since it was available locally, and it looked pretty decent.

Thanks again Greg
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Emon Crew
Thanks Greg, your post was AMAZING! Helped out a lot, I'm definitely going to pick up the Menzerna super intensive polish....Still don't know whether to continue to use the orange pad or upgrade to the stronger cyan pad? I think I'll try orange first and see how that goes. As for the wax...I saw that you also sell 30ml of Dodo juice diamond white hard wax. Would that be enough for one application on the entire car? Ive used NXT 2.0 wax since it was available locally, and it looked pretty decent.

Thanks again Greg
The orange and cyan pads are almost identical in polishing power, but the cyan pad may finish down slightly better and absorb a little bit less polish. Stepping up would require the purple foamed wool pad or the surbuf pads and the yellow pad is also more aggressive but I generally don't recommend it.

The NXT is one of the better products offered locally, however the Optimum Poli-Seal is generally less expensive and you get a 32oz bottle that works even better. So if you are already making a purchase online I'd highly recommend this product. It will help clean, shine and protect the paint all in one step and again it's an awesome value at 32 ounces!

The 30ml wax is enough for about 2 - 5 uses, while some detailers have gotten pretty extreme with 10+ uses. Just apply it nice an thin for best results and the best value. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Emon Crew

Placed my order today! got the super intensive polish, a cyan pad, some dodo juice hard wax and applicators. Forgot the free clay bar though!