Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Going detailing shopping (Need Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
BlkG-37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going detailing shopping (Need Advice)

Hey guys,

Me and my girlfriend's 5 year anniversary is coming up next week and she keeps bothering me on what I want as a gift. I just recently picked up a Black 08' G37S and need to step my detailing game up. Problem is, I thought it consisted of washing with a quality soap, drying, and than waxing with a quality wax. Man was I in for a surprise after reading some of the stickys within this forum. Basically, all this glazing, polishing, waxing has my head in a whirlwind. I know everybody chooses and likes different products, but what do each of YOU recommend I get to ensure my new black car stays gleaming?

Should I buy a buffer/polisher? Is it worth it?
Do I need to glaze, polish? If so, what are good products?
What are the best wax products, tire shine?
Where should I buy these products? Is detailed image prices competitive? Where does everybody shop?

More importantly, what can I use for the interior plastic, aluminum trim, and seat leather? I'd appreciate if anybody can be clutch and set me in the right direction here. Need to give my girl my little car detailing list ASAP, so throw your fellow G rider a bone!
thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, but only if you plan on using it regularly.

I'm a little Meguiars biased so I use alot of their products.

Glaze, not necessarily. Typically I don't glaze unless I want it to really really shine. ie car shows, meets. Polish yes. I use M105, M205, and then Sealant 2.0.

NXT wax and endurance tire shine.

I used DI for my polishing pads. They have a whole package you can get. I get the other stuff on Amazon or Walmart.

For vinyl/plastics I use a product called 303 Aerospace. AMAZING product. Don't really use anything for the aluminum... Leather seats I use Lexol leather conditioner.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2011, 11:44 PM
BlkG-37S

Appreciate the response. I am looking into those products as we speak. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No problem man. Good luck. Post up some before and after pics!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkG-37S
Hey guys,

Me and my girlfriend's 5 year anniversary is coming up next week and she keeps bothering me on what I want as a gift. I just recently picked up a Black 08' G37S and need to step my detailing game up. Problem is, I thought it consisted of washing with a quality soap, drying, and than waxing with a quality wax. Man was I in for a surprise after reading some of the stickys within this forum. Basically, all this glazing, polishing, waxing has my head in a whirlwind. I know everybody chooses and likes different products, but what do each of YOU recommend I get to ensure my new black car stays gleaming?

Should I buy a buffer/polisher? Is it worth it?
Do I need to glaze, polish? If so, what are good products?
What are the best wax products, tire shine?
Where should I buy these products? Is detailed image prices competitive? Where does everybody shop?

More importantly, what can I use for the interior plastic, aluminum trim, and seat leather? I'd appreciate if anybody can be clutch and set me in the right direction here. Need to give my girl my little car detailing list ASAP, so throw your fellow G rider a bone!
thanks!

Congrats on the anniversary and I'd be happy to help you pick out some products to make your G37S look it's best. We offer gift certificates and you can e-mail a saved shopping cart to someone as well at Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products if desired. You can save 10% off with the coupon code 10offg37, but it doesn't apply to tools, DI Packages and sale items.

Usually I recommend a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year and then just wash and protect it as desired in between. A full detail to me consists of a wash, dry, clay bar, polish, sealant and/or wax. This process will deep clean the paint and make it really shine again while protecting it for months to come.

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

Protection - After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them. Now step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks.

Interior Protection
For the interior aluminum, dashboard, doors, etc. you can do a gentle cleaning with the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on it with a clean microfiber towel. 303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM
BlkG-37S

Greg,

I appreciate the lengthy and detailed explanation on the best products you recommend based on what i am looking for. Unfortunately, i didn't get to see this response in time, but I did place an order on your site for multiple products though last week. Looks like I will be placing another order based on some of the items you mentioned in this thread I know I will need. I bought the Meguiars polisher, m105 and m205, lexol leather cleaner, and some other items. I look forward to getting all the products. I have just one last question. I noticed the fabric on the interior roof, more specifically near the door has dirt build up. What can i use to safely clean the fabric on the interior roof to clean all this excess dirt building up? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
tuf shine is AMAZING!

and so are any P21S products
Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Congrats on the anniversary and I'd be happy to help you pick out some products to make your G37S look it's best. We offer gift certificates and you can e-mail a saved shopping cart to someone as well at Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products if desired. You can save 10% off with the coupon code 10offg37, but it doesn't apply to tools, DI Packages and sale items.

Usually I recommend a full detail at least 1 - 2 times per year and then just wash and protect it as desired in between. A full detail to me consists of a wash, dry, clay bar, polish, sealant and/or wax. This process will deep clean the paint and make it really shine again while protecting it for months to come.

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

Protection - After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them. Now step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks.

Interior Protection
For the interior aluminum, dashboard, doors, etc. you can do a gentle cleaning with the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on it with a clean microfiber towel. 303 Aerospace Protectant protects just about the whole interior (vinyl, plastic, rubber, leather). It blocks out UV rays and preserves the finish so apply it to the dashboard, doors, console, arm rests, exterior trim, rubber moldings, etc. etc. Protecting the carpets and mats is super easy just mist the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on them and you are done! It will help repel moisture and the fabric will look exactly the same. It's such an easy step that many people skip over but trust me it's well worth it. The SONAX Leather Foam can be used on the leather as well to keep it clean, without any extra gloss or shine that is generally not good for the leather.

Wheels
I love the new SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect which is very strong yet pH neutral and totally safe to use. It helps clean the wheels quickly and effectively! To protect the wheels you can use the same sealant listed above or get something like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

Tires
If you want the tires looking like new year round the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is an amazing product. It provides a semi-permanet coating that keeps the tires looking new, repelling moisture and contaminants while still good for the rubber.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Take care!

Greg @ DI
Great advice!! I just bought a bunch of stuff on the site, and I look forward to getting this done!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM
BlkG-37S

If for one spent a lot of money on their site as well. Unfortunately, I placed to separate orders because I realized I needed more stuff after the first order. Didn't think buying professional cleaning products could cost so much. Then again, I also bought a Meguiar's polisher as well. Thanks for all the tips Greg, your input earned my business. Hopefully these products last me over a year because man does it add up if you start from scratch.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkG-37S
Greg,

I appreciate the lengthy and detailed explanation on the best products you recommend based on what i am looking for. Unfortunately, i didn't get to see this response in time, but I did place an order on your site for multiple products though last week. Looks like I will be placing another order based on some of the items you mentioned in this thread I know I will need. I bought the Meguiars polisher, m105 and m205, lexol leather cleaner, and some other items. I look forward to getting all the products. I have just one last question. I noticed the fabric on the interior roof, more specifically near the door has dirt build up. What can i use to safely clean the fabric on the interior roof to clean all this excess dirt building up? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Thank you for your purchases I sincerely appreciate the support. For the fabric roof, carpets, mats and actually most vinyl and plastic surfaces I use the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover, it's highly effective and yet still gentle. I also use it on my dashboard, doors, console, etc. and it works great! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 PM
BlkG-37S

Want to give a quick thanks to the guys at Detailed Image. Just received all my goodies and am looking forward to getting my black G37S a much needed full detail this weekend. Thanks for the great prices and products guys. I will post pics before and after once I get done on Saturday.

Going detailing shopping (Need Advice)-detail.jpg

Last edited by BlkG-37S; 08-02-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope you bought more pads or some snappy clean packet things to clean off those pads, because if you got only one of each your going to have a helluva time cleaning them back and forth... I also hope you bought more microfibers
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by JohnnysG
I hope you bought more pads or some snappy clean packet things to clean off those pads, because if you got only one of each your going to have a helluva time cleaning them back and forth... I also hope you bought more microfibers
"snappy clean packet thing" what the bleep is that? Also, why do I need to buy a pad for each application? Can't these 3 pads last one full detail by just being cleaned in between? And yes,
I have 3 Large Microfiber towels and 6 medium. Should be enough I'm assuming.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You'll realize after a 4 panels you wish you would have bought two more pads.

Why did you go w/ blue and black pads? Isn't it practically the same; correction wise? Personally I would have gotten two yellows, two whites, and two blues. I didn't like the orange pad.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM
BlkG-37S

Originally Posted by JohnnysG
You'll realize after a 4 panels you wish you would have bought two more pads.

Why did you go w/ blue and black pads? Isn't it practically the same; correction wise? Personally I would have gotten two yellows, two whites, and two blues. I didn't like the orange pad.
Basically, as this was my first true detail purchase, I just followed the instructions on detailed image for each product I bought. For example, they recommended the blue and orange pad for the M105 and M205 products so I bought that. I purchased the black for when I apply my wax. Nowhere on detailed image's site did it say purchase or to be used with "white pad." What exactly separates the white pad from what I bought? Didn't buy the yellow pad because apparently it is a very aggressive cutter and I didn't want to bleep up my car on my first whirl on the DA polisher. Is there a place locally I can purchase decent pads at if I want buy more? Let me know.

Quick Reply: Going detailing shopping (Need Advice)