Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear bra: worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
NoMoneyNoHoney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by equetefue
$$$?

That's all I need to know. Already have a tiny chip on the new M
Depends on the car and how you get it installed (pre-cut or hand cut & tucked). I prefer hand cut & tucked (but that's the pricier way to do it), because the pre-cut ones never get to the very corner of the panel.

Pre-cut w/ install should run around $400 for front bumper, portion of the front quarter panels, and portion of the hood. Hand cut and tucked should be an extra $150-300 on top of that.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM
pro-tect mobile

Originally Posted by equetefue
$$$?

That's all I need to know. Already have a tiny chip on the new M
Prices can vary greatly. As posted above I see those prices are very low. I would expect the standard front end (partial hood/fenders, bumper, lights, and mirrors) to cost around $750. Depends on where you are, the installer, and the material used. Custom cutting can, and most of the time is, a nightmare. I have pulled numerous custom jobs off of cars only to find the paint cut up. Its an art and only a handful of people are good enough to do this. So be careful if that is the route you go.

Where are you located? I may know of an installer in your area.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 AM
equetefue

I'm in Orlando, FL

Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 AM
loarmistead

I wish I would have bra'd mine sooner. My front end is pretty eaten up by road debris.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Dexter_Morgan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone gone back later, had the dealer or someone else touch up the paint chips and apply the clear bra?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maintenance?

Do you use wax/sealant on the clear bra, as with paint? I use Collinite 845, love the beading and durability on the paint, wondering if it would work on a clear bra.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 PM
pro-tect mobile

Originally Posted by Mudgen
Do you use wax/sealant on the clear bra, as with paint? I use Collinite 845, love the beading and durability on the paint, wondering if it would work on a clear bra.
Yes. Use a good sealant on the paint and it will keep the clear bra looking new.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
Yes. Use a good sealant on the paint and it will keep the clear bra looking new.
You mean use the sealant on the bra as well as the remaining exposed paint, I suppose. Or do you mean use a sealant on the paint under the bra before you put the bra on? Not sure how that could keep the bra looking new.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
pro-tect mobile

Originally Posted by Mudgen
You mean use the sealant on the bra as well as the remaining exposed paint, I suppose. Or do you mean use a sealant on the paint under the bra before you put the bra on? Not sure how that could keep the bra looking new.
No need to apply anythin before the ba goes on. You apply the sealant to the bra itself as it has a clear coat that will shine better if it is waxed/sealed. Once the bra is on the car you treat it as you do the paint. The better you take care of it, the bettr it will look.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
No need to apply anythin before the ba goes on. You apply the sealant to the bra itself as it has a clear coat that will shine better if it is waxed/sealed. Once the bra is on the car you treat it as you do the paint. The better you take care of it, the bettr it will look.
Thanks, that's the information I was looking for. I was confused by the original reference to putting sealant on the paint to keep the clear bra looking good.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
A clear bra is most definitely worth it, if you really care a lot about the appearance of your vehicle.
I didn't even know of the product 4 years ago when I bought my 07G35x but when I picked up my new G37S a couple weeks ago I wasted no time in getting VentureShield installed.
Full front bumper, fenders, 1/2 hood, mirrors and a strip across the trunk ledge. The guy gave me some extra VS so I will put that on the doors behind the door handles.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Gobbler Man

I had a big debate on this during the sales pitch. I decided against it. The main reason at the time is that I did not like the look of the bar on the car that they had as an example. It just stood out on the black paint.

After owning the car for over a year and a half, I am actually glad that I did not spend the money. Unless you clear bra the entire car, you will get chips. I have a couple of small chips in places that the clear bra would never have been placed.

For me, using a touch up paint and fixing as needed has been enough.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
pro-tect mobile

Originally Posted by Gobbler Man
I had a big debate on this during the sales pitch. I decided against it. The main reason at the time is that I did not like the look of the bar on the car that they had as an example. It just stood out on the black paint.

After owning the car for over a year and a half, I am actually glad that I did not spend the money. Unless you clear bra the entire car, you will get chips. I have a couple of small chips in places that the clear bra would never have been placed.

Just curious, what areas did you get chips that a clear bra would never have been placed?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobbler Man

If it 'stood out' then, IMO, it was the wrong product for a black (dark) vehicle, a poor install or both. Mine is invisible. In other words, if you aren't looking for it you will never notice/see it.
post #24 - http://g35driver.com/forums/canada/3...-fusion-2.html