Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Not happy with Menzerna Polymer Lock Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
tomb18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not happy with Menzerna Polymer Lock Sealant

Hi,

This is the third time I detailed my OB G37S. I usually wash it with chemical guys carwash, followed by Menzerna Polymer Lock sealant and then poorboys Natty Blue(a day later). I noticed the previous 2 times that the paint was greasy looking and would show all fingerprints etc. You can get it off my wiping with a mf towel but it really does look like you are spreading grease around. This time I decided to not put the poor boys wax on it, andf it still looks greasy and smudges very easily if you touch it.

Not only that, any drops of rain, leave water spots that do not come off unless you use a polish. Not to mention bird droppings. I though the sealant was supposed to prevent this? What's the point of a sealant if even simple water spots seem to go through to the clear coat?

Are there any better sealants that work as promised?
Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Try Blackfire Wet Diamond. The Menzerna FMJ is great as well if you want to stick with the brand. It goes on and comes off very easy and leaves a super slick and shiny finish.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Try Blackfire Wet Diamond. The Menzerna FMJ is great as well if you want to stick with the brand. It goes on and comes off very easy and leaves a super slick and shiny finish.
Unfortunately Menzerna FMJ is no longer produced. PowerLock Polymer Sealant replaced it but according to my research isn't much different.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Powerlock isn’t usually oily. Have you tried a chemical paint cleaner or IPA before its application as it sounds like there is something on the surface prior to application?

FWIW- Powerlock is mfg by Menzerna USA and FMJ was made under licence by CMA

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-22-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM
tomb18

I guess that could be, but the car was washed with Chemical guys Citris wash and then clay bared.
I would like to try the Blackfire but I can't find it here in Canada. Any ideas?
Thanks

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Powerlock isn’t usually oily. Have you tried a chemical paint cleaner or IPA before its application as it sounds like there is something on the surface prior to application?

FWIW- Powerlock is mfg by Menzerna USA and FMJ was made under licence by CMA
Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Brooklynstar23

I hated it when I tried it so I sold it to my friend.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
How much are you applying? What is your applicator? How long do you wait to remove the excess? What is your removal method? If you can provide some added details we may be able to pin point the problem.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Follow BB's advice...and get the Blackfire Wet Diamond. That is my favorite sealant right now.

I currently have Powerlock on my BO. It works well, provides some good shine, but I personally just don't find it as slick and wet as BFWD. As for the oily problem...honestly...I have seen that with a few various Menzerna products. I have found that you have to shake them extremely well, be careful of their temps, and like Greg said don't use too much product. A little goes a long ways.

That being said...I still use it from time to time(mostly on my friends/family cars) but switch to BFWD and you'll be very happy.

Just my .02...