Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Bird dropping Stains

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 PM
deveauja7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bird dropping Stains

Six months after I got my 2010 G37 a bird (or several birds) decided to carpet bomb my hood. I washed it off as soon as I could (less than 24 hours) but now I have 8-10 "stains" going across my hood. I've tried a polishing compound but the stains can still be seen when viewed from an angle or when the car is in sunlight/bright light. Any ideas? Should I take it to the dealer? A professional detailer? Help, I want my beautiful baby back!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
deveauja7

My car is black, and the stains appear as dull, hazy marks.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You need to machine polish them out or take your car to a competent detailers who can. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of work to polish them out.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM
deveauja7

So found a very reputable body shop that will polish out the old stains. I have not done it yet (due to time constraints), but decided to wash and wax the car to hold it over before I have the work done. Not 2 days later, bird craps on my hood and leaves ANOTHER stain! I washed the crap off within 7 hours (based on how long it was parked at work) PLUS I waxed 2 days earlier. Did I just find birds that poop straight acid or is my paint defective? I have never had this happen with previous cars.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Surface stains can be removed with a chemical cleaner like Klasse AIO or ValuGuard New Car Prep

However an acid etched (a concave indentation) in the paint surface would need an abrasive to level the surfac
Old 06-04-2011, 06:26 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Nuclear bird crap... wow.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 AM
TOGWT

Originally Posted by deveauja7
So found a very reputable body shop that will polish out the old stains. I have not done it yet (due to time constraints), but decided to wash and wax the car to hold it over before I have the work done. Not 2 days later, bird craps on my hood and leaves ANOTHER stain! I washed the crap off within 7 hours (based on how long it was parked at work) PLUS I waxed 2 days earlier. Did I just find birds that poop straight acid or is my paint defective? I have never had this happen with previous cars.
Bird excrement is one of the most damaging environmental pollutants as they relate to automobile paint as it comprises; Ammonia and urine as white crystals of uric acid (pH 3.0 - 4.5) a small organic compound, which is produced by the breakdown of protein during digestion, and is excreted by reptiles and birds. Uric acid is also the end product of nitrogen catabolism in birds Ammonia is a mixture of nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas; with moisture as a catalyst it becomes Ammonium Hydroxide, which is caustic.

A dry concentrate of the acid (a dioxide) is an inert substance until water is added. The UV-A radiation (heat) causes the urethane clear coat to expand allowing contaminates to permeate; the same heat greatly accelerates the corrosive abilities (reactivity) of the acid.

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-05-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Diesel350

Clay bar plus machine polish with aggressive cutting compound and aggressive pad should get rid of those bird stains.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
ohsogood

The key is to have a layer of protection between the bird crap and your paint. Having a layer of sealant and wax will provide you with enough protection for your paint. The second key is to clean it off as soon as you see it. If you have the layer of protection and remove it relatively quick, you shouldn't see any noticeable stain.
For now, the best bet, as others mentioned, is to machine polish.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Keep a bottle of quick detailing spray in the trunk along with a microfiber towel. In the summer months I make a trip out to the car during lunch to see if I've been tagged.

Bird poop is nasty, so keep a bag to put the towel in or toss it. Wash your hands after taking care of the bird poop as well.

The thing about bird poop and nissan black paint is that you have to get it off (and carefully) very quick, or you'll get stains or etching.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
TOGWT

A vehicle paint surface is porous, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with moisture and heat.

Water contains 2- hydrogen and 1-oxygen atom and will acts as a catalyst and a carrier system for acid. Oxygen is an oxidizer; ozone is an allotropic form of oxygen (an oxidizer is any component that emits oxygen); many chemical compounds react to slight heating and an oxidizing process.

Surface preparation - wash an than clean the paint surface by using a chemical paint cleaner (Klasse all in one (AIO) or ValuGuard "N" New Car Prep

Acid - ValuGuard Acid Neutralizer (Step I) - diluted 1:8 neutralizes acids deposited on the paint surface and in the pores of the paint
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
A vehicle paint surface is porous, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with moisture and heat.

Acid - ValuGuard Acid Neutralizer (Step I) - diluted 1:8 neutralizes acids deposited on the paint surface and in the pores of the paint
What else can be used to neutralize the acid?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 AM
TOGWT

Originally Posted by Black Betty
What else can be used to neutralize the acid?
A solution of Sodium bicarbonate (bicarbonate of soda) and distilled water