Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dust!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM
r6rider211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dust!

Hello:
I recently detailed my <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on">OB</st1lace> g37 and it looks great… only problem I am having is I am getting tons of DUST and POLLEN on the car… and was wondering what is the proper way to dust a car? Can you just wipe it down with a MF towel? Are there any products that would help to remove the dust without messing up my paint… I have Blackfire sealant on the car and it looks amazing when clean! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a black coupe and dust reallytakes away from the car. Anyways you got a wax/sealant on, the best way it to buy some quick retailer and wipe the car down every 2 or 3 days. Sealant or wax just makes it so that the quick detailed glides easier.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r6rider211
Hello:
I recently detailed my ffice:smarttags" /><ST1lace w:st="on">OB</ST1lace> g37 and it looks great… only problem I am having is I am getting tons of DUST and POLLEN on the car… and was wondering what is the proper way to dust a car? Can you just wipe it down with a MF towel? Are there any products that would help to remove the dust without messing up my paint… I have Blackfire sealant on the car and it looks amazing when clean! fficeffice" /><O></O>
if you having tons of dust, you want to avoid putting scratches on your paint, chance are better off just hose it down, or use Optimum No Rinse,2 Bucket wash method then wipe it off with Waffle weave drying towel. if light dust i would use Chemical guys synthetic quick detailer spray and wipe if off. you should be good to go.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a black car too and it's a never-ending battle.
I use the California Duster it it's light dust.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:08 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
March/April/May are generally losing battles with BO cars. I use a QD and microfiber towel to wipte down light pollen, but if its a lot, I just do a quick wash to remove it.

As soon as you wash it and dry it, within minutes its back in the car.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
r6rider211

Perfect... thanks everyone... I will buy a QD from Detailed Image... it will give me an excuss to buy someother stuff... Yea hate the fact that it gets so dusty but love my black G! I guess a good wipedown every day is the best idea for these "dusty" months!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
123u

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r6rider211
Perfect... thanks everyone... I will buy a QD from Detailed Image... it will give me an excuss to buy someother stuff... Yea hate the fact that it gets so dusty but love my black G! I guess a good wipedown every day is the best idea for these "dusty" months!
15%OFF DetailedImage

Coupon (Expires 05/30/11): GEARHEAD15<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I have a black G too.

Last edited by 123u; 04-27-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
mswistak14

I use Chemical Bros QD and it works great. I usually part my car in the garage but sometimes I am lazy and just park below my apt. If I leave it out over night it looks very dusty by the morning, especially with how dry it has been in Texas with all the pollen lately.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
r6rider211

Nice... Thanks maybe I will have to add more to the order!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Light Surface Dust

To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, use a California Ultimate Premium Car Duster ( that uses 100% cotton fibres and paraffin wax to attract dust) or the Zymol® Natural Wool Duster (uses static to attach the dust to the fibres to assure that dust is lifted and removed, not just pushed around) or long nap micro fibre towel and Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ (which uses a surfactant to encapsulate the dust and polymers to ensure surface lubrication) to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby avoiding surface marring.

Using long strokes, maintain very light surface pressure and use in one direction only.Shake the duster or towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.
Use a product that contains a surfactant; this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media used avoiding surface friction (use a solution of Optimum™ no-rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle) or Optimum ™ Instant Detailer.

Do not use these methodologies on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking?

It important to use this methodology only for the removal of dry surface dust, don’t use if surface has condensation or dew, or if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc in these instances the vehicle surface should be subjected to a conventional or Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR) car washing process
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMHO every owner of a darker color car especially black should own a California duster.
I owned black cars and lived in Kansas, a very dusty place.
When I would be pulling into my garage at night my black cars would look more like brown from all the dust/dirt that would settle on them during the day. I would try to always take the California duster and dust the car off before the next morning. The times that I would forget the dust/dirt would turn nasty from the morning dew.
I never had a problem with swirls/scratches from using the CD. It is one of the few products that actually does what it is suppose to do.
You have to read the directions and air it out for a few days before using it the first time.
Tom
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 AM
pattyballs

^Honestly if you think about it for 30 seconds you will immediately see how bad of a product a duster is. It collects dust, pollen and dirt. Then you cant wash it, so you use it over and over again dragging these particles across your paint every time it is used. Your best bet to keeping your car dust free without washing is like stated above, either optimum no rinse or chemical guys synthetic detailer with a CLEAN microfiber.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pattyballs
^Honestly if you think about it for 30 seconds you will immediately see how bad of a product a duster is. It collects dust, pollen and dirt. Then you cant wash it, so you use it over and over again dragging these particles across your paint every time it is used. Your best bet to keeping your car dust free without washing is like stated above, either optimum no rinse or chemical guys synthetic detailer with a CLEAN microfiber.
"Shake the duster or towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it."

I've been using a CC for about ten years (probably on the the 2nd one now) and never had any problems with them. It has nothing to do with how big it is, its all in the way you use it

Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Yep... there's a reason they call it a California car duster. It is dusty as hell in Socal. I have the Malbec black and, along with dust, I get to contend with dead bug guts in the spring and summer months. I have both the large and small CA dusters, but they don't do much for dead bugs...

I just washed my car last night. She looks beautiful. By the time I get to work, a short 14 mile drive through wine country, I'll have bugs all over the front bumper.