Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Drying a black G37 after wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Waffle Weave Towel - a waffle (Piqué) weave towel is a synthetic micro fibre woven with a dimpled pattern, which much like an open-cell sponge provides thousands of small pockets to trap dirt or grit. The absorbency of these towels is quite remarkable; they are able to hold seven or eight times their weight in water. Instead of wiping with your waffle weave towel drying towel, blot the paint to minimize adding imperfections

Drying methodology- provided the paint finish has been rinsed adequately (See Drying a Vehicle using 'sheeting' water) there should be no dirt residue. Water is a good solvent but a very poor surface lubricator. Try using a drying aid type detailer like Dodo Juice USA Time to Dry diluted 1:1 with distilled water, which provides lubricity to the paint's surface, in tandem with a damp waffle weave towel (wet, wring and then wipe) when drying your car - this will help break the surface tension of the beads causing the water to run off, allowing the towel to soak up more, and minimise water spots while lowering the friction of the towel over the surface.

Take two waffle-weave drying towels; one soaking wet (a wet towel wicks away more water than a dry towel) and one damp. Wring out the wet towel and use it as your primary drying towel, check and rinse the towel often. Wring it out as you go, this will leave smaller wet streaks, which you can remove with your damp towel and it should leave a ‘streak’ free paint surface

This drying technique is excellent for black cars (including ‘soft’ single stage paint that show every surface mark) but look so good when they are properly detailed.

This process never includes scrubbing, rubbing or applying any pressure whatsoever. The only time that pressure needs to be applied to a paint surface is when you are polishing.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM
taskmaxter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to try out a waffle weave towel this weekend.

On those sunny days, are folks pulling the car into the garage while it is wet to dry it off after it has been washed to keep the water spots at bay?

Just curious on others routines.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
swordsman54

Originally Posted by taskmaxter
Going to try out a waffle weave towel this weekend.

On those sunny days, are folks pulling the car into the garage while it is wet to dry it off after it has been washed to keep the water spots at bay?

Just curious on others routines.
Yea, I pull my car into the garage to dry otherwise there will be too many waterspots. With the work it goes into cleaning a black car, I like to make it as close to spotless as I can
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 3 large ones froms canadian tire (mf) a's well a's 12 from chemical guys. Both work great. With a black car, especially ours, anything that touches the paint will make very small scratches
Old 03-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Di Tank from the company below that eliminates all the crap from your city water and results in clean water and use it EVERYTIME i wash my car:

South Coast Water

IMO, an absolute necessity for our cars. It leaves ZERO water spots, which means no drying, which means no contact after rinsing off the soap, which means LESS SCRATCHES.

Pretty affordable too.

I also have their RO system that I use for my drinking water that is A LOT cleaner than any of the bottled waters you buy.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
htran16

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ really? no drying after washing your car and it leaves no waterspots?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Yup.

Used by lots of detailers around here.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Brooklynstar23

Here is what I do:

First I use all Chemical Guys products:

Wash and wax shampoo
CG Speed Wipe quick detailer
2 huge waffel weave towels

I wash the car like normal washing from top down but using only sponge to about the middle of the door...then i take a fresh sponge and wash from the middle of the door down all arouind the car....I rinse off the car...then while it still wet I take the CG speed wipe quick detail and spray the entire car down, everything including the windows...the neutral ph in the speed wipe will neutralize the water and will do 2 things for you 1) it buys you a ton of time in terms of drying your car since you pretty much dont have to worry about water spots and 2) it really really brings out a great shine....Once the car is sprayed down I take my 2 waffel weave towels and dry...thats it!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Dingo6610

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Also make sure you are sheeting the water before you start to dry, I can dry the entire g with 1 waffle weave MF towel (from detailed image of course) as long as it's sheeted

And absolutely don't wash in the sun
I'm an idiot here. What is "sheeting the water"?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
ESSRTEE8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a great how to video from Adams.

The whole series is great.

The products they sell are top notch.

YouTube - Adamspolishes's Channel
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dingo6610
I'm an idiot here. What is "sheeting the water"?
From detailedimage.com

Sheeting Technique (Return to Top)

The sheeting method is a simple process that allows you to dry most of your vehicle without ever needing to touch the paint with a drying towel. The main idea behind the sheeting method is to create a cascading effect where the water combines with water and pulls it down, off of the vehicle. When done properly, especially on a vehicle with a sealant or wax on it, you are left with only a few drops of water on each panel, which can easily be absorbed with your drying towel.
How-To Perform the Sheeting Technique

Note: This should be performed after you vehicle has been properly washed following the recommended steps. Also, make sure your hose is dispensing free flowing water prior to starting.
  • Step 1: Starting from the top of your vehicle moving left to right, flood the roof until water is pouring off the edge
  • Step 2: Quickly lower the hose a little to "catch" the water falling from the roof, this time moving right to left
  • Step 3: Lower the hose again and continue in the opposite direction moving left to right
  • Step 4: Continue this technique until you reach the lowest panels of your vehicle
  • Step 5: Finish drying your vehicle

A lot of good info here. http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...ng-and-Drying/
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
breftayka

Can any of you experts advise me which is the better/preferred way for spraying/rinsing the car? A light electronic pressure washer or plain hose?
Sorry to butt in here, but wanted to keep the good info flowing.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

^ I just use a regular hose with your typical Gilmour nozzle you find at WallyWorld or whatever.

Then, I sheet.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
breftayka

Originally Posted by Gamedog
^ I just use a regular hose with your typical Gilmour nozzle you find at WallyWorld or whatever.

Then, I sheet.
I already have the pressure washer. I'm basically asking if its a bad idea lol. I had those nozzles but I always leave them outside and they break all the time.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by breftayka
Can any of you experts advise me which is the better/preferred way for spraying/rinsing the car? A light electronic pressure washer or plain hose?
Sorry to butt in here, but wanted to keep the good info flowing.
I just use this guy for everything

Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun - 1/4 Gallon Tank | Detailed Image

take off the fluid tank and just use the handle to wash off, then use the hose by itself to sheet

Quick Reply: Drying a black G37 after wash