Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Removing skunk smell from the G

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing skunk smell from the G

I hit and murdered a skunk on the road.. it was soft and mushy and i guess when I ran it over it sprayed on my front right side bumper area.. The smell is just horrifying when my car is inside the garage.

SMH..

anyone know how to remove that smell?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Tomato juice.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Tomato juice.
+1 on the Tomato Juice. When I lived in TX and had bird dogs that got after a skunk and were sprayed, the only thing that got the smell out was soaking them in Tomato Juice.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly it will just take time and patience. there is no way to quickly remove that smell
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
mikelr

Originally Posted by dal1307
+1 on the Tomato Juice. When I lived in TX and had bird dogs that got after a skunk and were sprayed, the only thing that got the smell out was soaking them in Tomato Juice.

So just drive your G into a vat of tomatoe juice...
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 AM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Tomatoe juice.. omg lol wouldn't that like stain my IP paint? yuck.. i will try a car wash tomorrow and wax it with Meguiars..

i love the smell of meguairs.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Ozium.

Amazon it.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 AM
TOGWT

Chemically it’s an organic chemical containing sulfhydryl (a mixture of sulfur-containing chemicals such as methyl and butyl thiols traditionally called mercaptans), which are not water soluble.

To eliminate them and the odours they produce solubilise it (i.e. raise the pH from an acid to an alkaline) with an alkaline wash solution at which point it will become soluble and wash away. Due to the chemical composition of the skunk spray, most household remedies are ineffective, with the exception of a peroxide formula or other remedies that break down the thiols.

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-27-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Funny thread. Any tomato fields near you?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Chemically it’s an organic chemical containing sulfhydryl (a mixture of sulfur-containing chemicals such as methyl and butyl thiols traditionally called mercaptans), which are not water soluble.

To eliminate them and the odours they produce solubilise it (i.e. raise the pH from an acid to an alkaline) with an alkaline wash solution at which point it will become soluble and wash away. Due to the chemical composition of the skunk spray, most household remedies are ineffective, with the exception of a peroxide formula or other remedies that break down the thiols.
What does this mean? Is there a specific alkaline based product that you are recommending?

I suppose you could spray the area with Ozium, but I'm not sure how effective it would be on the underside of your car. It would probably significantly reduce the smell, but I doubt it would eliminate it. At least it would reduce the odor until it eventually wears off.

I would also treat your leather seats (if you have them) right away to avoid the leather absorbing the odor. Especially if your vehicle is garaged. I suggest not parking it in the garage for a while if that is possible.

Good luck and hope it goes well. Skunk smell is brutal!

Last edited by 4drScreamer; 03-27-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Typ-o
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
What does this mean? Is there a specific alkaline based product that you are recommending?

I suppose you could spray the area with Ozium, but I'm not sure how effective it would be on the underside of your car. It would probably significantly reduce the smell, but I doubt it would eliminate it. At least it would reduce the odor until it eventually wears off.

I would also treat your leather seats (if you have them) right away to avoid the leather absorbing the odor. Especially if your vehicle is garaged. I suggest not parking it in the garage for a while if that is possible.

Good luck and hope it goes well. Skunk smell is brutal!
Well I did not get to wash my car today. My parents had friends from Church helping us cook for a lunch @ church. But I will go outside right now and lexol out my seats, since it kinda stinks in there also >.<.

I'll try to leave the car outside today.. Then car wash on tuesday. Tomatoes juice.. might go under the car though lol
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 AM
TOGWT

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
Make a solution of baking soda (pH 9) wash and then thoroughly rinse the vehicle
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Maxpilot

Originally Posted by ShyAznB8oi
Well I did not get to wash my car today. My parents had friends from Church helping us cook for a lunch @ church. But I will go outside right now and lexol out my seats, since it kinda stinks in there also >.<.

I'll try to leave the car outside today.. Then car wash on tuesday. Tomatoes juice.. might go under the car though lol
The first thing I would have done would be drive to a car wash... before I even got home. I can't believe you have waited a couple days and still don't have it washed.

I'm picturing that woodchuck on the tire commercial that looks up to see the car barreling down on him only the car stops in time because of the great tires. Next there is a flooded out bridge and the woodchuck fells a tree across the road to save the driver that almost hit him.

In your case, the ghost of the skunk will haunt you forever. Should have had those tires on your car from that commercial.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Loi

Odor bombs from autogeek.net. I've used it a few times with success.