Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Need some detailing advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by weaver
Gonna need some more towels. I used two of the big ones and it was still wet so I used a third smaller one and it was still wet in a few spots. I am going to make a list of everything I need and send another order in. I did detail the engine and it looks great. Also put some rain x on the windsheild and washed the wheels and tires and the car itself. I just used two buckets. Seperate brush and mitt for the wheels and tires and another mitt for the car.

I noticed the mitt's don't hold the soap, so would it be okay to put some right on the mitt? I put a capful in the bucket filled up halfway. I am not used to using the mitts, so that is gonna take some getting used to. I cleaned up the few water spots I had with a towel. Since I don't have any compressed air tanks, going to use the canned air in the mirrors and on the lug nuts. That should get the remaining water out when I wash. Next plan is to clean the interior, just glass and leather. I need to find something to use on all of the trim in the interior. She looks great other than the orange peel on the paint, but I will take care of that as well.
If you want to minimize the swirl marks on your car, I would recommend using the 2 bucket method for washing the car. One for soapy water, and the other for rinse water.

If you only have 2 buckets, you can then re-use the soapy water for the tires and the rinse water for the tires AFTER you washed the entire car. Ive done this in the past and its dumped out the dirty rinse bucket and then re-filled it with clean water before moving onto the tires.

As for the mitts/soap issue, what soap and mitt are you using? Ive been using a 2 pack of Griots Garage microfiber mitts and Megs gold class shampoo and its very sudsy. You want to use a good sudsing shampoo.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
If you want to minimize the swirl marks on your car, I would recommend using the 2 bucket method for washing the car. One for soapy water, and the other for rinse water.

If you only have 2 buckets, you can then re-use the soapy water for the tires and the rinse water for the tires AFTER you washed the entire car. Ive done this in the past and its dumped out the dirty rinse bucket and then re-filled it with clean water before moving onto the tires.

As for the mitts/soap issue, what soap and mitt are you using? Ive been using a 2 pack of Griots Garage microfiber mitts and Megs gold class shampoo and its very sudsy. You want to use a good sudsing shampoo.
I did the wheels and tires first and used a seperate mitt. Then after I was done dumped the rinse bucket and refilled it to use for the car. Used the same wash bucket, just a different mitt.

I used the chem guys citrus wash. I do have the meguire's though and will try that next.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by weaver
I did the wheels and tires first and used a seperate mitt. Then after I was done dumped the rinse bucket and refilled it to use for the car. Used the same wash bucket, just a different mitt.

I used the chem guys citrus wash. I do have the meguire's though and will try that next.
I would definately do it the other way around, or if you prefer to do the wheels first, completely rinse out both buckets before starting on the paint.

Even though you have a rinse bucket, theres still a small amount of break dust that can get into the wash bucket and put minor scratches on your paint. Then again, I tend to be on the **** side and the black paint on these cars show minor scratches if you breathe on it or look at it funny.

Me personally, I think the paint is much more succeptable to scratches than the wheels so I tend to always do the paint first, then the wheels.

And I also use the CG Citrus Wash and found it to be pretty good sudsing shampoo. I'll add a little to my bucket, turn the hose attachment to the "jet" setting, and by the time the bucket is half full of water, its filled to the rim with suds. Are you using a low pressure stream of water to fill your wash bucket? If so, that might be the reason for the lack of sudsing or mixing. Usually with a good sudsing shampoo, even the cheapest of mitts can hold a good amount of suds on it, and you are using good shampoos with the Megs Gold Class and CG Citrus Wash, those are 2 of the 3 that I use also and have had great results.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought two of the griot's garage mitts, one green and one red. I filled up both buckets halfway on the jet setting. then added the soap in one and filled it another quarter way up. Put both grill guards in the rinse bucket. I dunked the mitt in the rinse bucket and shook it real good and then wrung it out real good. Then dunked it in the wash bucket. For whatever reason the soap wouldn't last long on the mitt. I will just put a little on the mitt. I have well water, so perhaps that is what the problem is.