Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

meguiars wheel cleaner damaged my calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM
newg37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meguiars wheel cleaner damaged my calipers

I bought this hot shine wheel cleaner because of it's great reviews and "safe on all wheels" bs.

I spray it on my wheels and yes it does loosen dirt but i got some on my calipers and the shiny silver metallic paint was dissolved leaving unsightly dull iron colored splotches.

what should I do? I always wanted to paint them another color or should I just get some hypersilver metallic paint and repaint them the original color. I don't have the S package brakes, only the base model brakes.

thx
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Frankyg37s

never had any problems on my sport brakes??

paint em
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
being in the situation you're in, I would just paint them.

Is the Meguiars that you used from Autozone or something like that? If so, this is a lesson as why you should NEVER buy detailing products from a "corner store"

If you got it from DI, then I would definitely let Greg know, he's a good dude and I'm sure he'll try to help however he can
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
newg37
Banned

bought it at walmart lulz
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
newg37
Banned

are you saying someone tampered with it?

i don't think that's the case. the stuff looks acidic. so it makes sense it would dissolve brake caliper paint *facepalm*

can someone help me with the paint process. it's a lease, so i have to revert it if i choose not to buy out.

i'm thinking to buy some waterproof red or cobalt paint and do it with a brush but I dunno if it will look good. are there any cool pics of stock brakes painted on this site?

either way i'm going to buy some silver paint and make the calipers look uniform and shiny again. it's a damn shame 2 months old and already this happens.

also is there anything safe i can spray on the wheels to repel brake dust so I can just rinse with low pressure water? i'm tired of brake dust all over the wheels every 50 miles or every time it rains (rotors turn to cheddar cheese immediately)
Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

No, Im not saying someone tampered with it. I'm saying auto stores like Autozone, Adv Auto Parts, WalMart, etc. sell CRAPPY PRODUCTS.

Buy quality products from Detailed Image and you will never have to worry about stuff like this happening

as for what to use...this is what I use on my wheels all the time and it is AMAZING:

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 500 ml Kit | Detailed Image
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM
newg37
Banned

are you saying meguiars is crappy?

i saw the p21s kit but it's too much $$$

meguiars hot wheel cleaner is $5.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meguiar's G-9524 Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. 24 oz.

good reviews..
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

there is a reason that a $5 cleaner damaged your paint.

you get what you pay for! you have to spend money to get good quality products. and YES, I am absolutely saying that the Meguiars you buy in a store like WalMart is a CRAPPY product.

There are 2 different Meguiars lines available. The ones you buy in store are a low quality POS brand and then there is the actual high quality line...

if you don't want to spend more than $5 on detailing products get ready to have more results like this...you really think that $17.99 is too much for wheel cleaner? I've spent over $700 on my detailing product lineup...
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
No, Im not saying someone tampered with it. I'm saying auto stores like Autozone, Adv Auto Parts, WalMart, etc. sell CRAPPY PRODUCTS.

Buy quality products from Detailed Image and you will never have to worry about stuff like this happening

as for what to use...this is what I use on my wheels all the time and it is AMAZING:

P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 500 ml Kit | Detailed Image
Megs products are pretty decent. I know a few guys that detail professionally using Megs products.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MSCA
Megs products are pretty decent. I know a few guys that detail professionally using Megs products.
I guarantee you the Meguiars they use is not the same product you buy in WalMart. They have a professional line and a "cheap" line of products. I think the professional line is a wonderful set of products, but the ones you buy in quick shop stores are worthless
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag

There are 2 different Meguiars lines available. The ones you buy in store are a low quality POS brand and then there is the actual high quality line...

Megs has a pro line and a consumer line. All the products in the consumer line are sold all basically everywhere. FWIW, the consumer line of products is known to be a little bit less aggressive and a little more "idiot" proof just as a cautionary measure. I've been using their consumer products for many years now and I think they have some good stuff. And I've never wrecked the paint on my calipers!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MSCA
the consumer line of products is a little more "idiot" proof...And I've never wrecked the paint on my calipers!
haha apparently not totally...just kidding OP
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM
newg37
Banned

i dunno tbh you can clean wheels just fine with soap and water and a good brush

unless you have a supercar or 5 years build up of brake dust, i dont see the point spending $20 for 500ml of wheel cleaner. my wheels are still okay I just wanted something that was spray on wait 5 minutes and rinse off so I wouldn't have to scrub. but i ended up scrubbing anyway. mind you i only had a small amount of build up in the first place but i hate even having a little rust on the wheels.

it's all marketing and generally a waste of money unless you buy industrial products which I have no access to.

I spent a couple hundred bucks on nxt tech wax, wheel cleaners, waxes, swirl removers, clay bar kits, chamois, scratch x, interior detailer, leather wipes, uv protectants, plastix, etc.

it's mostly garbage.

except meguiars quik detailer. it's actually really good. and of course tire shine. can't have enough tire shine.

now if only it wouldn't rain right after i use up half a bottle
Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Haha yeah that's the way it usually works, whenever a car is detailed, the rain comes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 AM
MSCA
Banned

I use nothing but soap and water on my wheels (maybe that's why I've never wrecked the paint on my calipers) for every car I've ever owned. If you keep after the brake dust, then they'll never get so bad that you NEED a dedicated wheel cleaner.

Quick Reply: meguiars wheel cleaner damaged my calipers