Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

meguiars wheel cleaner damaged my calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM
newg37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
geez how old are those other calipers 10 years? i can't believe you guys think it looks normal.

this is what my calipers looked like 3 days ago..

before

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/caliper5.jpg
larger pic

after

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/caliper1.jpg

there was little brake dust on my calipers, only on my wheels and not even that much in the first place which is why i looked for a mild wheel cleaner that was "safe".

spraying more on will just strip off the remaining paint and further corrode the iron underneath.

Last edited by newg37; 09-16-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Brake calipers are not made of iron. Notice how they don't rust, like your rotors.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
newg37
Banned

Haha meguiars called me back and basically took 0 responsibility for the damage to my calipers.

They said I didn't follow directions by allowing it to sit on the brakes for too long. 15 SECONDS MAX. Apparently the part about "scrub wheels with brush to loosen grime" you have to be Superman to scrub an 18" inside and out within 15 seconds. He said I can't go home and make a sandwich and then expect to be compensated roflcopter!!!!@#!@!

Then Mr. McDonald said I should have stopped after the first wheel if Inoticed damage. I said I didn't notice damage until it dried up plus I was paying attention to the wheel NOT the caliper.

Then he told me they'll split the cost to repaint them if I can prove my calipers aren't powder coated or magnesium. . .

Then I have to prove my user manual on the g37 states it's safe to use wheel cleaner on their calipers.

After all that they'll reimburse me the cost to buy a $7 spray can of caliper paint!

Be careful guys when cleaning your wheels with this **** cover your calipers or hire Supes to clean em for you!

Last edited by newg37; 09-16-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Mike

Can you prove that an aluminum caliper reacts with the brake cleaner? If you can, you may have a case.

They still state on the bottle that you cannot leave the product on the wheel for that long.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM
newg37
Banned

admission to anything over 15 seconds means you are automatically WRONG. who can clean a wheel in 15 seconds? I know i cant. . . it took me 3 mins to scrub it well.

saying i cleaned the wheel in 10 seconds means I am a liar and they will just focus on other aspects such as if the coating infiniti uses complies with meguiars use instructions and vice versa

and at the end of it, he told me a spray bottle of caliper paint is $7 which is what I already knew and the maximum I would be reimbursed. Just wasted time signing up for their ****ty forum and wasted time taking pictures and writing emails.

no big deal. . . I already knew they wouldn't take responsibility in the first place. At least make a disclaimer to cover the calipers.

Last edited by newg37; 09-16-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Mike

You still did not answer my question. Can you prove that the aluminum caliper reacts to the wheel cleaner?

Spray more on there and take a VIDEO.

Isn't it pretty obvious that when you spray a wheel, the brake is going to get sprayed as well?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G14324
Hot Rims® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is the ultra-safe solution for cleaning uncoated aluminum. The specially designed formula is guaranteed safe for uncoated and polished aluminum wheels as well as anodized and powder-coated wheel surfaces – it’s even safe on all brake components. Our unique formula features Xtreme Cling™ foam technology that grabs vertical surfaces to deliver effective cleaning and gently remove brake dust and grime.
Is this the product you used?

They do not have a product listed with the exact name "hot shine wheel cleaner" on their website.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM
newg37
Banned

Thanks Mike, but I used this one.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G9524

They have a more potent chrome wheel cleaner but I went with the All Wheel one in a purple bottle because it was the more mild of the two.

While it says "safe" on everything, I already posted on their forum that I left it on for 3 minutes while I sprayed, let it settle, scrubbed and rinsed so I am automatically wrong. Unknowing that the meguiars damage control guy would put all the blame on to me due to the "overly excessive" time period the brakes were in contact with the wheel cleaner.

I said "wait a minute, isn't this thing SAFE on wheels and brakes" and his reply was "yes, if you use it according to the directions which clearly say rinse after 15 seconds." As you can see, I am between a rock and hard place (bull**** semantics and disagreeing with an "automotive expert of 15 years.")

I said "15 seconds isn't reasonable time to apply the product, yada yada" but the damage in question is just a caliper repaint, which is supposedly a cheap fix. To go through the trouble of giving them everything they want and contacting akebono or whoever makes my calipers so they can tell me they use anodized paint and lose anyway, I'll just paint them with a brush myself using that G2 stuffs (maybe another color) and get my revenge by giving nasty testimonials to meg's wheel cleaner on amazon.

Last edited by newg37; 09-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Mike

What exactly is the wording on the bottle? I'm curious, because 15 seconds is ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 PM
YeeP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call me crazy, but I have this thing called a "hand"... I also have this thing called a sponge that I can put in water which has soap in it.

Follow me here.... I will then take the two above listed objects and apply them to the wheel and clean of dirty materials....(!)

Then I can use any list of things to shine the wheels if I am so inclined.

By using the new fangled things, I can avoid having to call someone and fight with them on the phone about how their nasty chemicals hurt something on my vehicle.

Crazy, I know.

On a side note, sorry to hear about your hurt calipers.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Mike

^^ Yeep, if you can wash my wheels clean with soap and water, I will pay to have you do it.

(My wheels are, once again, filthy).
Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
^^ Yeep, if you can wash my wheels clean with soap and water, I will pay to have you do it.

(My wheels are, once again, filthy).
Umm....they do have guys that will actually do that in exchange for money. I wash my own wheels by hand (not with spray-on wheel cleaning chemicals), but I wouldn't do your wheels even if you paid me. But like I said, there are guys who will. Check your local phone book.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Mike

Soap and water doesn't work for the brake dust my (track) pads generate
Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
Soap and water doesn't work for the brake dust my (track) pads generate

I think you'd be surprised how well soap and water works if you don't let the brake dust sit on the wheels for extended periods. I had multiple sets of wheels (street and track) for my M3 and I can tell you from experience that soap and water will work just fine if you clean the wheels regularly. Even with street pads, you'll eventually cause permanent damage to the finish of the wheels if you don't clean off the brake dust! Trust me....been there done that!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
The Jewbag

Hmm...I wonder if this wheel cleaner would take off the paint from my calipers. I'm trying to go back to the stock color.

Quick Reply: meguiars wheel cleaner damaged my calipers