Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Dried out Bug Tar

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Dried out Bug Tar

I have my brothers 335 coupe for the month and I noticed he used bug tar remover, however it was under what looks like direct sunlight which explains the over spray marks along with heavy heavy smudging on the hood and front bumper. Any explanations or tips on removing this? Its looks horrible especially on the beautiful BMW sapphire black metallic
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you'll probably just have to wash+clay then compound and use a fairly aggressive polish on it. if it is really deeply burned into the paint, it will be super hard to get out.

if it's bug guts, it may have physically burned a hole in the clearcoat too, since bugs guts are acidic
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
you'll probably just have to wash+clay then compound and use a fairly aggressive polish on it. if it is really deeply burned into the paint, it will be super hard to get out.

if it's bug guts, it may have physically burned a hole in the clearcoat too, since bugs guts are acidic
The thing is that its been there for almost a year, I washed it yesterday using CG Citrus Wash & Gloss but to my amazement it did very little on a car that was detailed by me 2 years ago (), I think Im going to have to re-do everything on it since it really is a mess at the moment. Would clay bar help?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
The thing is that its been there for almost a year, I washed it yesterday using CG Citrus Wash & Gloss but to my amazement it did very little on a car that was detailed by me 2 years ago (), I think Im going to have to re-do everything on it since it really is a mess at the moment. Would clay bar help?
That is one of the washes I have in my collection as well. But it is not meant to clean up a spot like that...CG Citrus is used to take off any protection you have added in order to detail from the base.

If you have never done a true full detail on a car I would highly suggest going to DI and reading their how-to. Clay'ing a car will actually make the paint look worse to the naked eye than before doing it. But it will remove a lot of the contaminants on the paint. Then compounding and using an aggressive polish will get into the clear coat and help correct some of the marring.

The fact that it has been on the car over a year sucks because it means it will be hard if not impossible to correct, especially if it's been in the sun a lot. It's also really sad and upsetting b/c it's another example of someone who just doesn't take care of a nice car (no offense to you or the owner).

But I'd get a good package of fine clay, good compound and fairly aggressive polish, good sealant and carnauba wax. if you can't completely correct it, at least protect it from getting any worse.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

yea unfortunately I dont have time and I have pretty much used up all the good products I ordered through DI on my car so there's nothing left for his, oh well and no offense taken, I get mad myself yelling at him that he just doesnt take care of his beautiful car. I love his car and would take it in a heart beat but its just sad how it is. Im sure if I spend a weekend with all my supplies, I can get it to look better then my IP but oh well, thanks for the help!