Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New car shine not so anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:22 AM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New car shine not so anymore?

I remember when i first brought the car home the shine was blindingly bright. Now 2 months into it, after about 6 washes she aint so shiny anymore. Does washing the car wash away the polish or something? I use chemical guys FS factory sealant MS and it's shiny but it's not as blinding as when i first brought her home. Why?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be multi faceted. Is the car in a garage or exposed to the elements all day? You may need to clay it, polish it, and then seal it with a sealant or carnuba...

Perhaps if you had a picture of what it looked like when you bought it vs what it looks like now we could offer more hints
Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 AM
GmOnEy1

If ur car is black look close at the paint n see if there r white blue tiny spot that won't come off if u have them take it back to the dealer I'm goin threw that issue they have sone paint guy comin from Infiniti to look into it my car is only 7 months old n this is the second complaint I'm makin with this
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I'm 2 months in and my shiny new black G has those tiny white specs on the roof. I wonder if it's a paint defect? I can't imagine what it's gonna look like in 1 year.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 AM
PascalT

it's funny cuz this week i was looking at my car and noticed the paint is a lot duller than it was before. I'm guessing it's normal, but not so soon i imagined (had it for 4 months).

it might be due for a fresh coat of sealant and/or wax is my guess.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can pick up a starters detail kit from Detailed images and there's a lot of videos on you tube and info in the detail section about how to use a porter cable 7425 buffer and bring the shine back. Otherwise pop down some cash and take it to a detailer. Just did mine after a year and I didn't think it looked bad, but man now it's eye grabbing.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/89323lmQ2LI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a& amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/89323lmQ2LI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a& amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
671slandBlue

Wow, the site you gave looks like it has A LOT of choices!! I wouldn't mind trying some of this stuff out. But has anyone, or does anyone know of this stuff if it's as good as they say? I was about to go craz and order a whole kit lol But I would love some reviews if anyone has any. Thanks...

"ONE"
"Blue"
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 671slandBlue
Wow, the site you gave looks like it has A LOT of choices!! I wouldn't mind trying some of this stuff out. But has anyone, or does anyone know of this stuff if it's as good as they say? I was about to go craz and order a whole kit lol But I would love some reviews if anyone has any. Thanks...

"ONE"
"Blue"
if you are talking about detailed image, then YES it is as good as they say. These are the big packages I bought from DI and they are AMAZING on the G

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit | Detailed Image

DI Packages Menzerna Polishes and Blackfire Protection Kit | Detailed Image

DI Packages Microfiber Starter Kit | Detailed Image

I've gotten 100% of my detailing supplies from them. Nothing even touches my car that isn't from DI. I love their stuff and will contunue to use it for every car I own.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM
671slandBlue

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
if you are talking about detailed image, then YES it is as good as they say. These are the big packages I bought from DI and they are AMAZING on the G

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit | Detailed Image

DI Packages Menzerna Polishes and Blackfire Protection Kit | Detailed Image

DI Packages Microfiber Starter Kit | Detailed Image

I've gotten 100% of my detailing supplies from them. Nothing even touches my car that isn't from DI. I love their stuff and will contunue to use it for every car I own.
What's a decent package to get for a not so expensive price at this moment? I would love to invest in all 3 of what you listed, but at this moment, can't. But what's a decent package, at a decent price? Thanks man!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 671slandBlue
What's a decent package to get for a not so expensive price at this moment? I would love to invest in all 3 of what you listed, but at this moment, can't. But what's a decent package, at a decent price? Thanks man!
Here are some starter kits...they are a little bit cheaper...to be totally honest, MF would be the first thing I would invest in. Microfiber will be on your car for almost every step, so if you buy a bunch of other products but don't have quality MF towels, then you are already behind the power curve.

I've got probably 60 or so different MF towels and things, and I keep them all separated by type, and "safe for paint" and "not safe for paint"

Detailing products aren't horribly expensive, but they aren't super cheap, and it pays to save up for the right things.

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 6.5" Basic Kit | Detailed Image

Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit | Detailed Image

DI Packages Polish and Protection Starter Kit | Detailed Image

DI Packages Microfiber Sampler Kit | Detailed Image
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hi-speed speaks the truth.

Save up for quality products.

They'll be totally worth it once you see the outcome.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
A clay bar will easily bring back that brand new shine. I will resort to proper clay job before going down the polishing route.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chilibowl
A clay bar will easily bring back that brand new shine. I will resort to proper clay job before going down the polishing route.
while it is true that you need to clay before polishing, claying does NOT remove any scratches. It will actually make swirls and scratches look worse until you compound/polish them out
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
To add to what hi-speed said...... if your car is new and in good condition, then the Porter Cable basic kit with the white pad will be fine. Pick up Menzerna Power finish or the Meguiars M205 and you can do a 1-step finish with the white pad.

I would also pick up a sealant because they give longer protection than waxes and a blue pad to put the sealant on.

If you dont have the money to get everything from DI, there are a few items which you can get at your local autozone store which will get you going. I use Megs Gold Class car wash shampoo from autozone, and I have 2 wash buckets and picked up a nice microfiber wash sponge from target along with a 5 pack of microfiber towels.

Im all about minimizing the amount of stuff I need to keep in my garage and minimizing the amount of steps in my polish regime.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...uct-for-4.html

If I were to start from scratch and couldnt afford everything from DI, I would get:

Wash: Gold Class shampoo from autozone - maybe 8 bucks
2 wash buckets from anywhere - a few bucks each
a nice microfiber wash sponge from target - a few bucks
a 5 to 8 pack of microfiber towels. I prefer different colors and I have different ones for washing the car and then buffing off polishes. I dont like to mix. - maybe 6 bucks
A grit guard from DI to put in your "dirty" bucket - 10 bucks from DI
P21s total auto wash - You dont need to use this all the time. I use it only before Im about to clay and polish the car to make sure the paint is super clean before I work on it. - 17 bucks from DI

Clay: A fine grade clay bar from DI and pick up a good cheap quick detailer which you can use as a clay bar lube and use after washes. - 22 bucks from DI with the poorboys quick detailer.

Polish: Pick up a porter cable package. If your car is in good condition and you dont plan on doing everyones cars, you can probably just get a white pad and use the Meguiars M205 for light/medium cut and polishes and do a 1 step refinish. Pick up a sealant and a blue pad to put the sealant on. I currently use the Menzerna FMJ but plan on picking up the blackfire sealant once Im done with the FMJ. - 150 for the PC basic kit, 10 bucks from the blue pad, 10 bucks for 8 oz of the M205 (so you can try it and see if you like it), 30 bucks for the blackfire wet diamond sealant..... if you can spend a few more bucks, get the package with more pads. You should only need 1 blue pad for your sealant because as long as you clean it, your sealant doesnt put much pressure on the pad. Id also have a black pad for when you want to do a very very light polish on the car. If you just have the M205 and never have to remove serious scratches, the white pad will be your workhorse pad so Id pick up 2 of them.

And Id do some reading on the new cyan pads. Im planning on getting one to use with the Megs M105 polish and it seems to be able to replace the orange, yellow, and green pads because it almost has the cutting ability or the yellow, (which means more cut than the green and orange) but it can finish down nicer than those pads (similar to a white)

Or you can get one of the Porter Cable packages with the M105/M205 polishes. Like this one:

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Pack...dro-Pads-P425/

Then you would just need to pick up a plain old blue pad for your sealant. With the M105 on cyan pad and M205 on tangerine pad you should have a pretty good range of what you can cover..... although the new Hydro Tech pads are new and I dont have experience with them, if I was just starting out knowing what I know now, this would be the package I would get to save 40 bucks upfront.

Spray on wax - I picked up some cheap Eagle one spray on wax from autozone a year ago and I love it. Goes on easy and wipes easy and doesnt leave any hazing. Maybe 7-8 bucks. Since I have the sealant on my car, I figured I could cheap out on the spray on wax over the sealant. Or if you like putting on wax, take your pick here. Everyones got different preferences.

Disclaimer: Detailing gets addicting. This is a good way to get yourself in the door with a decent setup that is easily expandable and upgradeable if you see fit without spending a ton of money up front and working in budget products with good higher end products. There are certain items, like the porter cable, where you dont want to cheap out on and get a budget buffer and have to replace it and upgrade it in a year or two. But certain perishable items, like car wash and spray on wax, once you use through them if you want to try something else, its a simple change where you dont lose out on the initial cost of the item because you still used all of it.

Last edited by philter25; 07-19-2010 at 02:48 PM.