Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Iloverui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra

I am getting a G37x, and this is my first new car my parents are buying me. so I want to protect it well. I am just wondering if I install clear bra would there be any color fade? and since I am getting it in Apen Pearl (white) whould it affect the color in a way it will look different from other parts with out the Clear Bra?
Thank you guys for helping me out!

ps. It would be great help for those of you in GTA, can you recommand a good place to have the Clear Bra installed? THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
g37musings

Just fyi, the clear bra will protect but will be most visible on a white car.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wow...parents are buying you THIS car...so lucky

anyways...some clear bras I've seen yellow, others haven't. I don't like them cause they leave a line across the hood so if I was gonna do it I'd get the entire hood/front bumper done
Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g37musings
I have a ClearBra on my white sedan. You can't tell it's on unless you get really close. Even then - who cares.

ClearBra will not damage your paint. In the past, there were problems with yellowing of the 3M material if you leave your car in the sun a lot. I think those have been worked out for the most part. I got a 5 year warranty against yellowing.

The other option to ClearBra is just painting your front grille/bumper whenever you want to sell the car. I don't know if that would cost more or less than $495. But you'd have to live with all the rock chips in the interim.

PS It's double the price to do whole hood. Not worth the cosmetic benefits IMO. Adds very little extra protection.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
PS It's double the price to do whole hood. Not worth the cosmetic benefits IMO. Adds very little extra protection.
if his parents are buying the G I think that's a non-issue

I was just saying do it b/c I think having just the front little bit done looks bad b/c theres a line across the hood where it starts/stops
Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Iloverui

Originally Posted by g37musings
Thank you for your input. What do you mean by visible? do you mean color fading or simply a line around the bra?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Iloverui

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
wow...parents are buying you THIS car...so lucky

anyways...some clear bras I've seen yellow, others haven't. I don't like them cause they leave a line across the hood so if I was gonna do it I'd get the entire hood/front bumper done
Well I will have all the right to drive but the ownership will still be under their name~ but who cares.

If you suggest hood/front bumper, what's the approx. cost on that?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Iloverui

I have a ClearBra on my white sedan. You can't tell it's on unless you get really close. Even then - who cares.

ClearBra will not damage your paint. In the past, there were problems with yellowing of the 3M material if you leave your car in the sun a lot. I think those have been worked out for the most part. I got a 5 year warranty against yellowing.

The other option to ClearBra is just painting your front grille/bumper whenever you want to sell the car. I don't know if that would cost more or less than $495. But you'd have to live with all the rock chips in the interim.

It seems you have very similar car to the one I am going to get. Do you mind post one or two pics just let me get a feel? Thank you very much
Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iloverui
It seems you have very similar car to the one I am going to get. Do you mind post one or two pics just let me get a feel? Thank you very much
I don't think I can even capture the "line" on a picture. I suggest finding a classic car dealer in your area. They are sure to have ClearBras installed on some of those cars. Or your ClearBra installer ought to be able to show you some examples.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Iloverui

I don't think I can even capture the "line" on a picture. I suggest finding a classic car dealer in your area. They are sure to have ClearBras installed on some of those cars. Or your ClearBra installer ought to be able to show you some examples.
What is the Approx. price for the installation? I am thinking just getting the front bumper. the hood has a factory protection thing or plate in the front am i right?

Last edited by Iloverui; 06-27-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Ventureshield ftw.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Iloverui

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Ventureshield ftw.
Sorry I am newbe for these things, what is that?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 AM
KLB

That depends upon how much he will drive the car. I did not get the whole hood of mine done, and I wish I had. I have a large number of nics above the bra now on my hood.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ventureshield is a very good quality product available today as a clear bra. It doesn't yellow and is less noticeable than some older products. Also it was bought out by 3M but it is NOT the same 3M product that 3M sells separately which does yellow and looks thicker and more noticeable.

Do a search and you'll see there are some tradeoffs but Ventureshield and one or two other products are worth doing. Even if you can see the seam (need to be close) the protection is worth it.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Clear bra brand...

Quick Reply: Clear Bra