Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear bra coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM
fyreboltx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra coverage?

When I got my car a week ago, the dealer recommended a clear car bra but it was priced at $1000 for the front bumper/front hood. I know the dealership normally rips you off but I have no idea who else to talk to about this (I don't exactly live in the best town...).

I've done some research and it seems that the clear film can be placed pretty much anywhere. Have any of you done this and if yes, on what areas? And how does it look?

I'll be doing a lot of highway driving and the roads in Illinois are TERRIBLE so it seems like a good investment. I'm worried that the film will start to come off or I'll start to get dirt/grime stick in the tiny crevasses where the film is... or worse, road salt (I'm driving this baby year round) getting under the bra! Not sure if those are serious issues but I would appreciate some insight.

Also, this might sound stupid, but what do you guys think about getting a horizontal strip to go on the doors? I don't mean to cover the whole doors, but enough to stop door dents from those douches who decide to swing their doors without care for whether or not they hit the person they're parked next to?

Man... I bet I sound like someone who's ready to cover their entire car with this clear film. Hm... maybe I should?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
beattyG37

RUN! Don't walk... to get that hood and bumper covered!! Especially if you do a lot of highway driving. I just bought a 09 G37 coupe that has 19K miles on it and it does not have a clearbra, and it shows. And because of the slope of the hood, get the whole hood and fenders covered.
Not sure I would do the doors though. I have thought about doing the door vertical edges where they open and might hit my carport wall (or the car next to me if he is stupid enough to park too close to me).
But the paint on the new infiniti's are soft and chip easily, so sooner is better than later!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 PM
95mkiv

I had a clear Bra on my M-45 since it was new & it was the best investment & I highly recommended it but, $1000 is a little too much.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
there are various types of clear bra film as well. We use a vendor that does it laser cut so it's a perfect fit. The worst thing we want is a vehicle to come back over and over again. I fired the last clear bra guy claiming he's a professional with 15 years of experience.... boy that didn't go well!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fyreboltx
When I got my car a week ago, the dealer recommended a clear car bra but it was priced at $1000 for the front bumper/front hood. I know the dealership normally rips you off but I have no idea who else to talk to about this (I don't exactly live in the best town...).

I've done some research and it seems that the clear film can be placed pretty much anywhere. Have any of you done this and if yes, on what areas? And how does it look?

I'll be doing a lot of highway driving and the roads in Illinois are TERRIBLE so it seems like a good investment. I'm worried that the film will start to come off or I'll start to get dirt/grime stick in the tiny crevasses where the film is... or worse, road salt (I'm driving this baby year round) getting under the bra! Not sure if those are serious issues but I would appreciate some insight.

Also, this might sound stupid, but what do you guys think about getting a horizontal strip to go on the doors? I don't mean to cover the whole doors, but enough to stop door dents from those douches who decide to swing their doors without care for whether or not they hit the person they're parked next to?

Man... I bet I sound like someone who's ready to cover their entire car with this clear film. Hm... maybe I should?
The key is finding a good installer in your area.

As for the strip on the door .. it won't protect against door dings. Clear bras only help against pebbles, not rocks the size of golf ***** hitting your car at highway speeds.

Covering the entire car is also possible, but your installer better be good.

I've had mine since 12/06 ... no problems with it.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 PM
mike904

I did my entire hood with VentureShield. I purchased 5ft of the 60" film for about $160. I've never installed film before, but it turned out real good.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
fyreboltx

So the actual installer is the most important factor? Great... I'll probably need to drive to Chicago... meaning unprotected highway driving.

I honestly wish somebody would make some kind of a protective shield for the sides of a car. I seriously hate door dings since they're completely unavoidable in a packed parking lot.

Originally Posted by mike904
I did my entire hood with VentureShield. I purchased 5ft of the 60" film for about $160. I've never installed film before, but it turned out real good.
You did it yourself? Not sure I trust my own skills for that...
Old 06-15-2010, 11:19 PM
REaL

I did my front bumper, headlights, and side skirts for about $400. Did the labor myself though.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Calgarywinger

$1000 sounds like a lot.
I had the 3M kit installed at the dealership: Front bumper, hood, both mirrors, behind the front and back wheels (on lower panels) for CA$700.
The nice thing is the warranty on the plastic. The car must be inspected once a year (by the dealer) and the 3M will be replaced, free of charges, if there are any tears, any discoloration or any other problems.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 30 cm (12") strip on the hood and front fenders done by the dealer for $300 CAD.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
fyreboltx

Ok... then I guess my dealer is definitely ripping me off. If it was $1000 for the entire hood, I would consider it but it barely covers the hood and doesn't cover anything on the fenders.

I'll probably get mine done at a third party then and hopefully they offer some kind of a warranty.