Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Bird poop droppings baked in sun, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meguiars makes an excellent product now that works wonders for anything etched into the clearcoat (within reason) or scratches/swirls. It's called "Ultimate Compound" and it is the best product I've ever used to get rid of tough blemishes. You can even use it by hand if you don't have a machine.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Regarding Venegar... Just keep applying and use elbow greese. Switch between vinegar and a light compound and paint cleaner in a 3 step cycle. I use Menzernas Intensive Polish and Meguires Paint Cleaner along with the venigar. Depending on how long the stain has been there it may take you 10 minutes to clear the stain. I have always owned black cars and have been at war with the birds for over 20 years. Since I cant beat them I have learned how to mitigate damage LOL!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
BlackG37Coupe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Regarding Venegar... Just keep applying and use elbow greese. Switch between vinegar and a light compound and paint cleaner in a 3 step cycle. I use Menzernas Intensive Polish and Meguires Paint Cleaner along with the venigar. Depending on how long the stain has been there it may take you 10 minutes to clear the stain. I have always owned black cars and have been at war with the birds for over 20 years. Since I cant beat them I have learned how to mitigate damage LOL!
Ill have to try this out, hope it works my stain is right on my trunk lid
Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Bird excrement comprises; Ammonia and urine as white crystals of uric acid (pH 3.0 - 4.5) a small organic compound, which is produced by the breakdown of protein during digestion, and is excreted by reptiles and birds. Uric acid is also the end product of nitrogen catabolism in birds Ammonia is a mixture of nitrogen gas and hydrogen gas; with moisture as a catalyst it becomes Ammonium Hydroxide, which is caustic.

Heat and water act as a catalyst; a vehicle paint surface temperature of >90.oF creates a very aggressive reactivity of the Alkaline, Uric Acid and Ammonia. This will cause surface etching, so they should be removed without delay, at lower temperatures (> 40.oF or less) there’s no reactivity and therefore little or no etching.

Their main food source in summer is mostly insects and seeds, in the winter/ spring it’s berries, which are very acidic, and if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent ‘clouded’ area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces) Birds use gravel to help digest their food, predatory birds (owls, hawks, etc hunt and kill mice and small animals, so ground light weight bone fragments, sand and grit are some of the major components, which can cause scratching.

Safe Removal

To remove bird excrement without causing scratches; apply very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only, use a product that contains a surfactant; this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media used avoiding surface friction (use a solution of Optimum no-rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle) and allow to dwell time as this will soften debris and allow it to be removed

Use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the debris that is lifted from the paint surface remains in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring. Shake the towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.
Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue, birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface. Once it softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface Do not use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking