Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Didn't buy a clear bra....how to rectify?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow there is some really bad information in here. 90 days??? Not sure where that came from but paint will be fully cured within 30 days. If the body shop can bake the panels you can apply film within a few days. I have been installing film for 7 years and always like to talk with the body shop to find out when they beleive its cured. But 30 days has always been the rule of thumb... unless they bake it.

Also not all clear bras will pit. 3M tends to because it has a clear coat on it that can chip. VentureShield Ultra doesnt chip... but if a large enough rock hits it the film can scuff. But think of what it would have done to the paint without it. All paint protection films are different so dont base your experience and give a braoad statement on how the films receive damage, scuff, or even yellow.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 AM
lokitiw

Take a look at this .I have not used it , but it might be an anwser for you.
Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems - Touch Up Paint Kits
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My opinion on this that the clear bra is a waist of money in your case,If you take it to a paint shop that knows what they are doing, they will be able to add hardners in the clear coat that will take alot more abuse then the soft factory paint and hold up for years. The cost of painting the front bumper and doing the film is a wash... and besides when you clear bra , no matter how good it is ,, it still tints the paint ever so slightlly as to make the paint not match... so you decide what makes sense... good luck, bro..
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
IMO, a little too late in your case... unless you just go and buy another bumper, and have it painted... and they let it cure for x amount of days... 60-90 is way wrong... I'd say a week or so. Have them apply the clear bra to the new bumper, then install it onto your car.

But that seems rather costly at this point.

For those that think these things are a waste, and that they get scratched/dinged/etc... better the clear bra than your paint. That's what it's there for.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 PM
HTP AutoWorks

Clear bras will not xhangethe color of your paint. If that was the case the all of these Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche owners would nit be paying to get it done. They would go the "extra hardener/clear coat" route. Money is no object to them so they spend it on what they feel the best way to protect their paint is. A clear bra. There ate numerous fis out there. Some will yellow. Some won't. The best two out there are ventureshield Ultra and Avery Denison Nano Fusion films.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
+1 for Ventureshield.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 AM
g37musings

You guys do what you want. I have seen the paint peeled off the front of a 911 when the paint had been cured 30 days when a clear bra was installed. I still stand behind waiting at least 60 days for the paint to cure. But hey, your car, your call. For me, I am going to play it safe. Most installers will advise you to wait at least 60 days. Call it misinformation if you want, but I stand behind it.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd rather wait too long than not long enough. When it comes to something like that (even though I disagree with spending money on clear bras at all) why not just take the extra time and make sure it's done right?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Clear bras will not xhangethe color of your paint. If that was the case the all of these Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche owners would nit be paying to get it done. They would go the "extra hardener/clear coat" route. Money is no object to them so they spend it on what they feel the best way to protect their paint is. A clear bra. There ate numerous fis out there. Some will yellow. Some won't. The best two out there are ventureshield Ultra and Avery Denison Nano Fusion films.
Guess I've only seen the " yellow" type, plus I've never liked the lines that are visiable as well, but thx for the info...
Old 05-22-2010, 09:46 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a new black 2010 G37S today with only 6 miles on it! Yaaaaay! They are adding splash guards so I haven't actually brought it home yet, until Wed. Traded in the '05 (have been a member of the myg35 forum for a couple years).

Now, I am glad I found this topic because I refused the 3M protector at $500 from the dealer. At the time it just didn't seem necessary. My '05 (graphite color) never really got any bad scratches on the front bumper. But this is my first black car. I found a car care center close to me that installs the 3M and guarantees it for 5 years and no yellowing. They are closed until Tuesday so I do not know the price. Just wondering if I should let the dealer do it. Is $500 considered a "good" price? Does that generally just cover the bumper?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
500 ,all depends what would it cover. I pay 700 for the hood 24 inches up,fenders,rear view mirrors , bumper ,and head lights.Then I pay 60 extra for the A pillars,roof line from the wind shield to almost the sun roof,and the rear bumper just above the license plate for when you get your luggage in and out the car,and the door edges.Everything is 3M except A pillars ,and roof line those are venturishield.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:44 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by G37NC
I bought a new black 2010 G37S today with only 6 miles on it! Yaaaaay! They are adding splash guards so I haven't actually brought it home yet, until Wed. Traded in the '05 (have been a member of the myg35 forum for a couple years).

Now, I am glad I found this topic because I refused the 3M protector at $500 from the dealer. At the time it just didn't seem necessary. My '05 (graphite color) never really got any bad scratches on the front bumper. But this is my first black car. I found a car care center close to me that installs the 3M and guarantees it for 5 years and no yellowing. They are closed until Tuesday so I do not know the price. Just wondering if I should let the dealer do it. Is $500 considered a "good" price? Does that generally just cover the bumper?
How much do you plant to drive the car? If it is going to be every day, get the bumper, whole hood, mirrors... I have the 24" hood cover, and I have a bunch of nics above it. The hood and bumper are going to get the majority of the abuse.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^I was under the impression the $500 just covered the front bumper.

^I will drive it daily to & from work which are all surface streets, no interstates. I plan on some heavy road tripping this summer though. Sounds like doing the whole hood would be the way to go.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM
kcobbusa

I'm at 9k, no clear bra and bumper looks like new. Secret is to buy a leather bra for the front bumper and part of the hood. I use it when ever I'm about to hit the Hwy and take it off when I'm not. Just don't follow to closely behind any vehicles.