Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tree Sap

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tree Sap

I was washing my car today -- it's heavy pollen season and found two small spots of sap on my hood. Or at least that's what I think it was.

So I sprayed some bug and tar remover on it, let it sit for a minute like the directions said, and when I cleaned it off, it appears the clearcoat came off with it. So I've got one nickel-sized and one quarter-sized hole on the hood now.

The car is white, so it's not noticeable unless I'm standing right up against the car and staring down at it, but still, you know, goddammit @#$@#%@. I s'pose I should have used a different removal method, or more likely the stuff was just sitting long enough that there was nothing I could do. But whatever the reason, that doesn't matter now -- I'd just like to fix it.

It looks just like a slight discoloration in both spots. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but I think it's difficult to capture on camera. Is it possible the self-healing clearcoat help fix this up a little after a few days in the sun?

Any recommendations -- maybe a tube of the touch-up paint is in order?

Thanks,
Neil (SM)
Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
for a nickel/quarter sizes spot, the self-healing paint probably wont help. it normally takes a week or so for a small superficial scratch so if it does it'll take like 2 months.

touch up paint isnt for clear coat, its for the actual paint. so it probably wont help
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
touch up paint isnt for clear coat, its for the actual paint. so it probably wont help
From what I've seen some places sell the clearcoat touchup pens also. For example:
https://www.paintscratch.com/
Old 05-09-2010, 01:58 PM
SM_Shadowman

Anyone have any experience with their products ^^ ? Worth looking into?

BTW I can barely see this spot anymore and can't get a picture of it. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought...