Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help first time car wash and looking into sealant or waxing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Amon_Ra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time car wash and looking into sealant or waxing

After searching for a couple of days I now know shouldnt use a drive through car wash or even the brushless car wash...so I'm going to go to autozone and pick up some stuff for a handwash because there is several bird poop spots on the hood...

I think I got the hand washing part down...but as far as using a sealant or wax or even clay barring? how should I go about that? or which methods do you guys prefer?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
please don't buy stuff from autozone...go to Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies for what you need...

search all their how-to's and look in the "ask a pro" section

my favorite stuff is

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (with Glaze fillers) - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax - 7 oz | Detailed Image

Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Blackfire Finishing Polish formulated with Menzerna - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Blackfire Compound formulated with Menzerna - 16 oz | Detailed Image

and for clay bars just get fine grade and you'll be fine
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Amon_Ra

yea I've been reading that as far as how to do it goes...but i wanted to get the bird marks off tonight or tommorow morning lol....so get nothing from autozone?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Loi

I get my shampoo ( Meguiar's Gold Class ) and qucik detailer ( Meguiar's detail spray)from walmart, they have mostly everything autozone has, but a bit cheaper.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Amon_Ra

thanks Loi as for the microfiber equipment? where do you go for that?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Loi

I've had my fairshare of "highend" MF towels, yes they were great, but I got away fine with the MF towels from Sam's or Costco, 25 towels for $10 ( I think). Walmart has 10 for 10, which is not a bad deal if you can't get to Sam's club.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Amon_Ra

Originally Posted by Loi
I've had my fairshare of "highend" MF towels, yes they were great, but I got away fine with the MF towels from Sam's or Costco, 25 towels for $10 ( I think). Walmart has 10 for 10, which is not a bad deal if you can't get to Sam's club.
thanks a lot...I just need to get this bird poop off...and I will handle the rest of the stuff as prescribe in the other threads hispeed posted
Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have had bird poop etching on my black G and nothing could do anything to get them out except machine polishing. Even then, it took a pretty aggressive polish and pad combination to get them out (Menzerna SIP/yellow pad).
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Amon_Ra

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have had bird poop etching on my black G and nothing could do anything to get them out except machine polishing. Even then, it took a pretty aggressive polish and pad combination to get them out (Menzerna SIP/yellow pad).
the bird poop has been on for about 5 days...im gonna try and remove it tommorow...I have the blue slate paint...i hope it comes out...would you recommend using ONR for future encounters with bird poop?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just did mine for the first time too -- got the blackfire wet diamond sealant & several other supplies from detailed image. Including car wash soap,wash mitt & sponge, buckets applicator sponges, and tire dressing.

The blackfire sealant was incredibly easy to put on and buff off for a first-timer. Only took a few minutes. Only items I purchased elsewhere were microfiber towels (since I already bought some earlier...er, I just got a 6-pack from autozone ) and I picked up the Meguiar's clay kit from Amazon. That comes with 2 bars + lube and a towel. I only needed to use about half of one bar for the whole car.

Here's a vid on clay barring. If you search on youtube you can find similar instructional videos for whatever you want to do. Or check the "Ask a professional detailer" threads here.
YouTube - How to Clay Bar
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Amon_Ra
the bird poop has been on for about 5 days...im gonna try and remove it tommorow...I have the blue slate paint...i hope it comes out...would you recommend using ONR for future encounters with bird poop?
The ONLY thing I've found to keep bird poop from etching the paint very badly is immediate removal. I got some off after only abut 10 minutes in the summer sun and it was already etched into the clear coat requiring polishing. ONR is fine to get the crap off, but wont correct any damage it leaves behind.