Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Burning Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Hayabusa02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning Paint

I remember an old friend of mine, who was a car detailer, warning me that it can be very easy to "burn" the paint when using a buffer. I have been reading and watching the videos and, of course, they make it look easy. I assume that burning the paint occurs when pushing too hard, lingering too long on a single spot, or not using enough product to spread around?

Will I have problems trying to use these electronic buffers? Anything else to be aware of?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You are 100% correct. Yes, you can burn the paint using a random orbital, it's just not very easy to do. How do I know? Because I tried it out to see how much force it takes. For example, if you use a PC with a 4" yellow pad and a compound you can burn right through the paint if you use lots of pressure in a single spot for a couple of minutes. but if you are careful and get the hang of it first, you shouldn't have an issue. If you have a stubborn spot you are trying to do heavy correction on like a deep scratch or bird etchings), stop every so often and feel the surface with your hand. You will feel it getting warmer the longer you work in a single spot. As it gets very warm to the touch, stop and go work elsewhere while it cools off. Once it is cool to the touch, you may be able to go back and work it more safely. Also be aware that painted plastic parts are much easier to burn that metal ones, the finish can be burned at much lower temperatures.

One of the best things you can do to learn is to go to a junk yard and buy a junk panel like a hood that has a dent or crease in it. You can get it cheaply. It's a great tool to learn because you sill be able to try some serious correction since it's in poor condition. You can push it to the limits and not worry about damage. You can try out new polishes and products to see how you like them. You can do side by side comparisons of a wax or sealant and leave it outside to see exactly how well it lasts and shines etc.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:42 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
burning the paint is a lot easier to do when you are using a rotary buffer (the ones that only spin in a circle). With random orbital buffers it is a little bit harder, but yes it's from putting too much pressure on one spot for too long with a harsh pad

Pretty much if you aren't sitting in one spot for a crazy amount of time you shouldnt have anything to worry about

EDIT: haha BB beat me to it, but yeah you should be just fine!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Practice on the girlfriend's car first
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Hayabusa02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUnny you say that.... I actually told my wife tonight...."Hey, I just bought an orbital buffer...I can practice on your Minivan now. YOu don;t care about that much" LOL

Thanks...that makes me feel better. I Figured it was harder to do than easier and I Will be careful. I Like the junk yard panel. I have a friend with a car I could use...HE wouldn;t mind at all. HIs car falls into that junk category