Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

To Zymol or not to Zymol

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Hayabusa02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Zymol or not to Zymol

So in the past, I always used Zymol products to detail my cars and I know very little about detailing. With the Zymol process you use their AutoBath to wash the car, the HD Cleanse to remove wax and other imperfections (Equivalent to claying the car I am guessing), and then their wax to finish it off.

MY car is only 3 weeks old and I am always looking to improve the look of the car, especially with a nice shine. I see that many people use many more steps to their detailing process. I have always loved Zymol and the results, but if I can get even better results by adding a few more steps and products, and in turn, improving the longevity and quality of the cars appearance than I am all for it.

So, I guess my question is... Does anyone have any experience with Zymol and would you compare it to the Detailed Imaging "more steps"process? My guess is no...That Zymol is a good wax, but doing these additional steps will still result in a much better result.

Wash, Clay, wait 24 hours...
Wash, Dry, FTG Glaze, FMJ Seal, Supernatural Wax

Not sure if any of these require more time between doing?
Also, Can all of these be done by hand or if I buy the Porter Cable Random Polisher which steps can be done with that?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know anything about Zymol, but I am quite confident in saying that the HD Cleanse is NOT equivalent to claying...

for glaze/sealant/polish/etc you CAN do it by hand, but you will save yourself a whole lot of time and effort (plus it will look better) if you apply it with something like the PC. Apply with the PC (or equivalent ROB) and then remove/buff by hand with a MF towel.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Zymol is a decent product. Not the best out there, but it will do the job. I'm skeptical of HD Cleanse. Kinda reminds me of one of those liquid clay bar kits which is nothing more than an extremely light polish.

You will definitely get a better result from your list that includes the Menzerna products and Supernatural. You don't have to wait 24 hrs after clay though. I typically allow the Menzerna FMJ about 12 hrs to cure before applying a wax over it.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Hayabusa02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK...thanks...I figured you guys would know.

So, this is what I am planning on doing going forward. I stuck with the DI suggested products where I could and figure I will buy the PC unit.

Wash- every 2 weeks
Fine Clay Bar- 2x/year
EZ Glaze w/ Shine II (using PC and Black Pad)- 2x/year
JetSeal 109 Sealant (using PC and Blue Pad)- 2x/year
Supernatural Wax (using red applicator by hand) - 1x/month

My car is still very new, so I figure I don't need to polish yet. Is there anything else that needs to be done when doing a monthly wax? Or is a wash and then wax ok?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
that is roughly the schedule that I follow (if it's good weather I wash my car every weekend)

I also carry some bug/tar remover in my trunk so if I ever get out of the car and there are lots of bug hits on the front bumper, or bird crap or whatever I can get it off right away
Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayabusa02
OK...thanks...I figured you guys would know.

So, this is what I am planning on doing going forward. I stuck with the DI suggested products where I could and figure I will buy the PC unit.

Wash- every 2 weeks
Fine Clay Bar- 2x/year
EZ Glaze w/ Shine II (using PC and Black Pad)- 2x/year
JetSeal 109 Sealant (using PC and Blue Pad)- 2x/year
Supernatural Wax (using red applicator by hand) - 1x/month

My car is still very new, so I figure I don't need to polish yet. Is there anything else that needs to be done when doing a monthly wax? Or is a wash and then wax ok?
You'll be very pleased with this process and group of products, some of the best out there. Keep in mind the PC isn't necessary for the steps you are doing but you'd be ready when it comes to polishing. I'd suggest investing in the 5.5" pads as they are the most versatile (not too small, not too big) and when you are ready to polish invest in the 4" backing plate so you can spot treat and get in those tight areas.

Wash and wax is fine for those monthly wax jobs. You may want to consider picking up a quick detailer for the times you wash but don't wax. It'll help aid in the drying process as well as boost the depth and gloss of your finish. With Supernatural as your wax, I'd suggest either the Dodo Juice Tropical Mist or Optimum Instant Detailer.

Looking forward to hearing about your results, you're going to love how your car turns out.

Keep us posted