Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What the fu......

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:46 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the fu......

I am beyond pissed.
Came home from work and saw some bird crap on the hood of the car. I know that that needs to be washed away as soon as possible so that it doesn't mess up the paint. I don't have my own driveway and a hose to wash it properly, and at the time all the hand car washes were already closed, so I poured lots of water over it and wiped it off gently with a microfiber and figured it will keep till morning. I was WRONG.

It was pretty sunny today, and the crap got baked in my beautiful black Obsidian hood. Washing and waxing didn't get it out, and I was told that it cannot be buffed out with compound and that the paint is permanently damaged. Depending on how the sun is shining on the hood, you can clearly see gray stains (kinda looks like Monica Lewinsky's dress).

Went to drown my sorrows in fast food. When I came out i noticed that my fender had a large ding with a paint chip from someone probably opening their car door into it in the parking lot. It was a bad day for my G and I wanted to kill someone. Preferably the a$$hole who dinged my car.

It's been less than 2 months since I got the car, and at this rate by the time my lease ends there'll be nothing left.

HOW HOW do I keep my car from turning into garbage so damn fast??
Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 AM
OvaYahead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel ya. I bought my car with no dings or scratches. The first day I take it out, I end up with a inch long crease on one side and a paint chip on the other side. what makes me mad is I saw the elder lady that did it. Her car was parked about 2 feet away from my car and she still door dinged me.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Just park far away from other cars (and even when you do that, also take up two spaces, however that may be an issue depending on which part of town you do that in supposedly) and for the bird crap (not this past occurrence, but possible future ones) maybe invest in a car cover if there is no car port or garage.

damn those old ladies and birds!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Invest in a good polymer paint sealant and keep it up, that is the best protection against bird droppings short of never letting your G see the light of day.
I'm right there with you with the ding, I had my drivers side hit twice within the first two weeks of ownership,... the funny thing is I've NEVER had this kind of bad luck with door dings. I've suffered maybe one parking lot ding in my life before hand and that was on a truck that I had worked construction with for four years without incident.
The G seems to be some sort of cosmic magnet for this sort of thing.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM
netmag

One of our vehicles is a near-lux crossover and I do the "park a mile away" thing with that for sure. My wife's on board with that too. In fact she's even better at it. She's good at finding the spots where no one can park next to you on either side so you're covered even if someone wants to go out of their way to be an a-hole. I don't take up 2 spots though as that's just not my style. However, I'll park far away for sure.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look on the bright side. Its a lease so you just turn it in at the end and no worries!

Btw, I have NEVER seen a car's paint as soft as Infiniti's. I had about 6 of these bird bombs all over my 08 G37 when I traded it in last month. If you don't wipe it off while still wet it WILL eat your CC...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
People are careless, and most aren't as into cars as we are. We were in my wife's vehicle awhile back, and parked at a restaurant. A SUV parked next to us, and two doors swing open and slam into us, leaving nice dents. The lady driving just looked at us and told her kids to hurry up, as if this was no big deal.

There is no accountability anymore, and people don't care. If you call someone on it, they will act as if YOU are crazy and in the wrong for pointing out the damage. Idiots are reproducing, and so our children and their children will have these same complaints about the lack of basic respect for other people's property.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Creepers

+1 for parking a mile away. even though in my neighborhood, i regularly see much more expensive cars, i dont mind treating my car like it's a rolls royce and parking far away.

plus walking farther to your destination is good exercise; that's one of the reason i wear a size 30 pant. and the best reason is when you return to your car, you have more time to ogle the beautiful curves.

as far as bird droppings, i didnt realize how fragile OB paint is on our cars. on my previous car (TSX), i would let bird droppings remain on my car till mother nature cleaned it off, and i never noticed any residual marks. however, with my G, i carry in my trunk a small microfiber towel and a bottle of meguiar's ultimate quik detailer for just those occasions.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Alt G

FWIW - I had a bird take a dump on the trunk of my Moonlight White G. I was aghast when I washed it off and the white paint had turned grey. I tired every thing to see if I could turn it back to white. Nothing worked. Then over the course of the next couple of weeks it eventually "turned back" to white! Not sure what happened but maybe it had something to do with that special clear coat. Perhaps over time your spot will also disappear.

Also FWIW, I applied Klasse AIO to the paint twice before the bird dump. It did not help prevent the initial discoloration.

Finally, I'm with the rest of you guys, why can't people be a bit more considerate of other people's vehicles?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi Alt G
FWIW - I had a bird take a dump on the trunk of my Moonlight White G. I was aghast when I washed it off and the white paint had turned grey. I tired every thing to see if I could turn it back to white. Nothing worked. Then over the course of the next couple of weeks it eventually "turned back" to white! Not sure what happened but maybe it had something to do with that special clear coat. Perhaps over time your spot will also disappear.

Also FWIW, I applied Klasse AIO to the paint twice before the bird dump. It did not help prevent the initial discoloration.

Finally, I'm with the rest of you guys, why can't people be a bit more considerate of other people's vehicles?
You have a 09 right? I think only the 09 has the "scratch shield" paint.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I agree with those who say to park your car very carefully, away from other vehicles, if you can. Of course there are times you just cannot do that. That’s why I have a pair of magnetized, plastic door panels (they’re called dingdefenders) that I keep in my trunk and take out whenever I’m forced to park too close to another car. You can get them color coded (close but not exact) for your car. My family sometimes laughs at me when I put them on, but it’s worked for me so far.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Alt G

Originally Posted by antirice
You have a 09 right? I think only the 09 has the "scratch shield" paint.
Yes I do and it does have "Scratch Shield" paint. Not sure what other MY have it.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Creepers

Originally Posted by Chekov
I agree with those who say to park your car very carefully, away from other vehicles, if you can. Of course there are times you just cannot do that. That’s why I have a pair of magnetized, plastic door panels (they’re called dingdefenders) that I keep in my trunk and take out whenever I’m forced to park too close to another car. You can get them color coded (close but not exact) for your car. My family sometimes laughs at me when I put them on, but it’s worked for me so far.

can other people remove your dinglefenders? i like the idea but not if people can steal em.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:33 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Try vinegar on the stain. it worked wonders for me. I used vinegar and then buffed with a light compound Menzerna's Intensive Polish. It took a lot of elbow grease for me but it worked. I hope it works for you
Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Lords47

I had an 07 Black obsidian G35S. Same thing, bird got my rear quarter panel good. I brought it to the dealership to their detailing department. They wet sanded it - which I dirtied my undies a little when I saw that. But then they waxed and buffed it and it was completely gone and good as new. Maybe give that a whirl?