Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What the fu......

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
rehtea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
Thanks, I will try it this weekend. To apply the wax, do I use one of those round pads that I've seen being sold for waxing, or do you recommend something better?
I used the pad that's included in the Meguiar wax box.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by FourT2
IMO taking two spots is an invitation to get your car keyed as this is often perceived as a **** move. So I just try to park as far away as possible within a single spot, I figure if I am that far away people will have no reason to park next to me (people are lazy). I also pay attention to the grade of the lot to avoid damage by runaway shopping carts that idiots abandon in the middle of the parking lot.

My wife parked our two week old MDX in the most remote part of the parking lot with no other cars around, did not take more than one spot and the car still got keyed
You know, I'll maybe give that single spot thing a try. or just parking over the line on one side, so it's not so obvious. Some areas are just filled with low-lifes in the parking lot I guess and it's hit or miss if you get keyed.

Originally Posted by ChiDave
I feel your pain. I always park way out in the lot with mine. Turns out that this time it cost me! It was very windy last Friday and someone didn't put their shopping cart in the "cage", so while I was inside the store, the cart crossed the whole lot and smashed into the right door leaving a 4 inch crease. I was sick, since there was no other mark on the entire car.
I'm going to let a paintless dent removal guy look at it tomorrow. It will cost me about $100 for being too careful.
Damn, that sucks. I gotta look out for that. But I guess there is no way to tell. I'll look out for cart return areas too. Good tip.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought Mcguire was. It has the pad inside. I will put a couple of coats this weekend.
Thanks for the tip
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
ttboy

I don't know...parking in a lot is a gamble. I used to park in the most remote area of the lot but found that the car sticks out like a sore thumb because its the only car all by its lonesome out in the middle of nowhere. And then when I come back to retrieve the car what do I find, but some jackhole who's parked his rusted up 1983 Dodge Omni right next to me (and not just in the next spot, but intimately close to me to the point I can bearly open the door wide enough to squeeze my a$$ in). Sometimes I think your better off just parking among the masses so your car gets buried among the SUV's and minivans and doesn't draw any attention.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
csnpsu

1 week i had my car i parked in the back of a parking lot, away from everyone just for some jerk in a big SUV to part next to me and open his door into my car.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by csnpsu
1 week i had my car i parked in the back of a parking lot, away from everyone just for some jerk in a big SUV to part next to me and open his door into my car.
I hope you waited for the jerk and confronted him about the damage.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
lmulion03

I'm like most of you guys - I park my car as far away as possible to avoid any dings or damage. The fact is that it is a car and it will get scratched. To the extent that it will get scratched is up to destiny. It will happen. Look what happened at the parking lot at my work when I took all necessary precautions.

I think most of it might be able to get buffed out so I'm thinking positively. Eh, it's just a car and there a bigger issues int he world to worry about.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:17 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by ttboy
I don't know...parking in a lot is a gamble. I used to park in the most remote area of the lot but found that the car sticks out like a sore thumb because its the only car all by its lonesome out in the middle of nowhere. And then when I come back to retrieve the car what do I find, but some jackhole who's parked his rusted up 1983 Dodge Omni right next to me (and not just in the next spot, but intimately close to me to the point I can bearly open the door wide enough to squeeze my a$$ in). Sometimes I think your better off just parking among the masses so your car gets buried among the SUV's and minivans and doesn't draw any attention.
It is a gamble. Sometimes you have to be obvious and not so obvious when parking far away. Parking among the masses incognito sounds like a plan. I'm thinking maybe parking next to nicer or just a nice cars my limit the probability of a ding/dent. Getting those spots at the end of the line are the best bet, just a 50/50 chance of a ding.

Originally Posted by lmulion03
I'm like most of you guys - I park my car as far away as possible to avoid any dings or damage. The fact is that it is a car and it will get scratched. To the extent that it will get scratched is up to destiny. It will happen. Look what happened at the parking lot at my work when I took all necessary precautions.

I think most of it might be able to get buffed out so I'm thinking positively. Eh, it's just a car and there a bigger issues int he world to worry about.
You know that's very likely that slight damage will happen over time (rock chips, road hazards etc), however we can do what we can to prevent or minimize such things. Giving up is not an option. Did someone just back into your parked car? How does that happen?? Sorry to see that. I park at the back of my building where only maybe 6 people park.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by lmulion03
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CYuri%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Wow that looks bad. Happened to me once with my previous car, but I was not as calm as you about the whole thing

Originally Posted by cereal2k
You know that's very likely that slight damage will happen over time (rock chips, road hazards etc), however we can do what we can to prevent or minimize such things. Giving up is not an option. Did someone just back into your parked car? How does that happen?? Sorry to see that. I park at the back of my building where only maybe 6 people park.
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CYuri%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I also park in the back of my building next to a 07' Avalon. Not as nice as the G, but not crappy by any means. You would think he would want to take care of his car... nope. The guy DOESN"T GIVE a S#!T. There goes that theory of parking next to a nice car to avoid damage.

In order to avoid getting hit at parking lots, I ordered Door Shox, which are magnetized soft objects made of silicone you attach to the car to prevent dings and scratches from other people opening their doors.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
cereal2k

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CYuri%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Wow that looks bad. Happened to me once with my previous car, but I was not as calm as you about the whole thing

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CYuri%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I also park in the back of my building next to a 07' Avalon. Not as nice as the G, but not crappy by any means. You would think he would want to take care of his car... nope. The guy DOESN"T GIVE a S#!T. There goes that theory of parking next to a nice car to avoid damage.

In order to avoid getting hit at parking lots, I ordered Door Shox, which are magnetized soft objects made of silicone you attach to the car to prevent dings and scratches from other people opening their doors.
Any thoughts?
That Door Shox product looks pretty good for what it does. Unsightly but it's not permanent and technically you can now park like regular people. If there was no choice in me parking cross ways and blatantly taking up two spaces, I'd go for this. Especially if I'm out of town and "don't know the neighborhood". This looks like a winner with a large enough surface area.

The only concern is

"*A properly maintained door guard will not scratch your paint. For best results, regularly clean the door guard surfaces and the car door."

So there is some slight maintenance involved. Great idea/product I think.