Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

What the fu......

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Creepers
can other people remove your dinglefenders? i like the idea but not if people can steal em.
Unfortunately, they can. But I’ve used them from time to time since 2004 and none have been stolen so far.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
Just park far away from other cars (and even when you do that, also take up two spaces, however that may be an issue depending on which part of town you do that in supposedly)
IMO taking two spots is an invitation to get your car keyed as this is often perceived as a **** move. So I just try to park as far away as possible within a single spot, I figure if I am that far away people will have no reason to park next to me (people are lazy). I also pay attention to the grade of the lot to avoid damage by runaway shopping carts that idiots abandon in the middle of the parking lot.

My wife parked our two week old MDX in the most remote part of the parking lot with no other cars around, did not take more than one spot and the car still got keyed
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are lucky it was a small bird. We have pelicans here in Florida. They crap 1/4 pounders, if you are in a convertible you are screwed...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all for feeling my pain...
I do always try to park far from other cars, far from shopping carts, anything really that I can foresee slamming, rolling, flying, dripping or even brushing up against my car. But it doesn't always help. People don't care. Especially people who drive crappy beat up cars. Even though my G is a lease and technically not mine, I still want it to look its best the entire term and I don't wish to pay thousands when giving it back.

I thought about a car cover, but I live in Brooklyn NY and almost no one has them here. I was also worried that if dust settles on the car and then you put the cover on top, the paint might get scratched. Also, since car covers are rare where I live, they tend to attract curious a$$holes who wanna take a peek underneath and possibly key it or steal something. But after all I might just have to buy one anyway. Any recommendations? Should it be the official Infiniti cover ($275) or any other?

Polymer paint sealant?? What is that exactly and how and when do I apply it?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Sal123

Originally Posted by cereal2k
Just park far away from other cars (and even when you do that, also take up two spaces, however that may be an issue depending on which part of town you do that in supposedly)
Originally Posted by FourT2
IMO taking two spots is an invitation to get your car keyed as this is often perceived as a **** move.
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I live in Brooklyn NY
Yeah... I live in Long Island now, but I'm from Brooklyn. I have known people that will key, or break off your mirror or some other thing if you take up two spots.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
^ I understand all the posted concerns. There are just proper ways to double park than others. And just like buying a house, it depends on location, location, location. Let's just say I won't be double parking in NY or NJ any time soon
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Kwang

I love my work. We have a large parking structure and most of the cars are luxurious, so I have a peace of mind when I park next to them. No sun beating down on my car too.

Has anyone seen those rubber door stoppers? They attach to the edge of the door... No idea what they are called... I saw them once on a white Escalade; they were clear.

Any links if someone knows?

Lol, tried doing a quick search and found some hilarious things -- some look useful.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCAQrQQwAg
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
rehtea

One of the first things I did when I got my car was wash and wax it. I used Meguiar's Tech Wax. Now when I get bird droppings, I just wipe it off with a wet napkin. Don't need to do it right away either, I usually do it couple days after noticing it.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Mockenrue

You have to teach yourself to relax. When I got my first parking lot ding, I promised myself I wouldn't obsess about my car. Good thing because my car was almost totaled when I got rear-ended at a stop light. It's still in the shop 5 weeks later, and I'm sure the trade value will take a hit. Instead of boiling over with anger, I considered how lucky we are to live in a time and place where it's all taken care of, paid for, and I even get a rental to tide me over. You have a G... enjoy it, but don't let it consume you.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
ChiDave

I feel your pain. I always park way out in the lot with mine. Turns out that this time it cost me! It was very windy last Friday and someone didn't put their shopping cart in the "cage", so while I was inside the store, the cart crossed the whole lot and smashed into the right door leaving a 4 inch crease. I was sick, since there was no other mark on the entire car.
I'm going to let a paintless dent removal guy look at it tomorrow. It will cost me about $100 for being too careful.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by rehtea
One of the first things I did when I got my car was wash and wax it. I used Meguiar's Tech Wax. Now when I get bird droppings, I just wipe it off with a wet napkin. Don't need to do it right away either, I usually do it couple days after noticing it.
I will try that. The only thing is.. my car is black.. so I'm not sure it will have the same good result. Should I use a microfiber rag to wax it by hand? Should I be worried about swirls or scratches?

Originally Posted by ChiDave
I feel your pain. I always park way out in the lot with mine. Turns out that this time it cost me! It was very windy last Friday and someone didn't put their shopping cart in the "cage", so while I was inside the store, the cart crossed the whole lot and smashed into the right door leaving a 4 inch crease. I was sick, since there was no other mark on the entire car.
I'm going to let a paintless dent removal guy look at it tomorrow. It will cost me about $100 for being too careful.
Parking far from others usually works, but sometimes there are exceptions. Sorry to hear you caught some bad luck
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
You have to teach yourself to relax. When I got my first parking lot ding, I promised myself I wouldn't obsess about my car. Good thing because my car was almost totaled when I got rear-ended at a stop light. It's still in the shop 5 weeks later, and I'm sure the trade value will take a hit. Instead of boiling over with anger, I considered how lucky we are to live in a time and place where it's all taken care of, paid for, and I even get a rental to tide me over. You have a G... enjoy it, but don't let it consume you.
I agree. You have to live your life. It's come to a point where I sometimes consider not going somewhere out of the fear that my car will get damaged somehow, and that's no way to live. It's hard to not obsess though, cause the car looks so good, and I just want to put it in a protective bubble or something
Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
rehtea

Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I will try that. The only thing is.. my car is black.. so I'm not sure it will have the same good result. Should I use a microfiber rag to wax it by hand? Should I be worried about swirls or scratches?
mine is blue slate, so it's dark color. I don't think the Meguiar wax is any special, but as a general rule, best way to protect the factory clear coat is to wax it, preferably when it's brand new, before any damage occurs. I was honestly bit surprised by how easily the bird crap wiped off. yes, it's recommended to use microfiber rag to wipe off the wax after it dries. i used cheap terry cloth, but worked fine. didn't get any swirls or scratches. but make sure the car is clean and free of any dirt particles before waxing it.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by rehtea
mine is blue slate, so it's dark color. I don't think the Meguiar wax is any special, but as a general rule, best way to protect the factory clear coat is to wax it, preferably when it's brand new, before any damage occurs. I was honestly bit surprised by how easily the bird crap wiped off. yes, it's recommended to use microfiber rag to wipe off the wax after it dries. i used cheap terry cloth, but worked fine. didn't get any swirls or scratches. but make sure the car is clean and free of any dirt particles before waxing it.
Thanks, I will try it this weekend. To apply the wax, do I use one of those round pads that I've seen being sold for waxing, or do you recommend something better?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
pkhoopes

It is a good idea to carry a high quality microfiber cloth and your favorite detailing spray (mine is Zaino) to gently soak and remove bird bombs as soon as you find them. This also applies to larger insect splats...these can etch the clearcoat paint as well. One thing I have learned is that not all bird/insect messes are equal. Some will cause damage, and some wont. I think it depends on what the bird eats that makes the difference...some diets of berries, insects, seeds, etc contain more corrosive (to auto paint) ingredients than others. Same with the insects.
I had a clear bra installed to help combat damage from insects and road debris.