Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Anyone have pics of an oldish car that never had a Clear bra.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
all cars have "soft paint"
nicks and scratches are inevitable; even WITH a clear bar, you'll get chips and dings. plus, i've noticed that on the OB G's, the paint color under the actual paint is black.
Not true. The two dodges we have have no real nics, only some scratches on their paint. Our 2500 Megacab is 3 1/2 years old, and the Caliber is 3. I won't buy another Dodge any time soon, but their paint/clear coat is far superior to Infiniti's.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM
rohardi

So this is kinda a random question regarding the clear bra. How does the clear bra look after you detail the car???? Will it shine like the rest of the car???
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rohardi
So this is kinda a random question regarding the clear bra. How does the clear bra look after you detail the car???? Will it shine like the rest of the car???
that is a fairly subjective answer, some will say it looks great/not even there, others will say it looks like crap <-my opinion on it
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a clearbra on our IS350 (white) and when its clean you really can't even see it until you are less than 6 feet away. There has been no yellowing whatsoever after one year and I have not had a single rock chip so far. My G, on the other hand, does not have a clearbra and I already have at least 4 chips in the bumper (and a stupid one in the grille) after just two months! I shouldn't have cheaped out with the Infiniti....
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM
baksdak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was worried about this at first. You can pretty much do on the bra what you do on the rest of the car. I used 3M intensive polish (medium cut) with a pretty mild cutting pad and then topped with wax. This will remove ALL etching, scarring, rub marks, etc that others have complained about. Obviously, you have to take care though as to not do too much or go too far.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 AM
xeon450

My experience with the clear bra on my 09 G37x sedan has been extraordinary - it saved me a few hundred dollars (perhaps more) on a minor "fender bender"...

I was backing out of a parking spot after dropping off my kid at school in the morning and didn't realize that a Mazda MPV pulled into my driver's side blind spot and stopped there (why did he do that ). Luckily I wasn't backing up fast and heard a scratching sound as my front quarter panel rubbed against his minivan, and stopped right away.

Not much damage on his car (why is that all the time??), but on my G it looked like gritty sandpaper was rubbed along the side of the front bumper and the front end of the quarter panel. Depressed , I headed off to work anyways and checked again when I stopped and parked the car.

Amazingly, when I checked the damage again the huge scratch marks were only on the clear bra on the quarter panel!! The "marks" on the bumper I essentially removed just by wiping carefully with a microfiber cloth that I had in my car.

I took the car back to the dealer the next day and he had it assessed - no damage to the paint underneath! I got the clear bra replaced for $70 including labour - no paint work required!

So, I definitely recommend the clear bra!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM
KLB

Mine looks great. Only thing I have to watch is getting wax in the crease on the edge of it.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never used a clear bra. Are you going to get some scratches and nicks on your front end, yes. But you will also get some scratches and nick in your sides and rear if you drive on public roads.

Unless I was planning to wrap up my whole car, like you do with a Zagg Invisible Shield(Cell Phones), I wouldn't do it. But that's me & I'm older than most of you guys. MY G is my everyday car and I know it's going to get nick and scratched. Unless you live and drive it inside a plastic bubble it's going to eventually happened in the front, sides & and the rear.

Last edited by gugarci; 05-20-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
RaiderSuby

I use Klasse All In One (AIO) - 500 ml | Detailed Image (recommended by DetailedImage) on the clear bra and it is very good
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM
PascalT

so the local guy here is asking me for $600 to cover the whole hood, sides front/back and mirrors. He uses the 3M film.

I am not sure if it's a good deal or not or if the 3M film is the way to go. Some of you say just use the money later to fix the front if needed and some say "get the bra!". :>
Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
so the local guy here is asking me for $600 to cover the whole hood, sides front/back and mirrors. He uses the 3M film.

I am not sure if it's a good deal or not or if the 3M film is the way to go. Some of you say just use the money later to fix the front if needed and some say "get the bra!". :>
That price sounds pretty good, considering that Black is the worst color as far as showing all the chips & dings I'd get it ASAP. Like I mentioned my hood looks like crap (also a black G) and it's only 11k miles and about 7 months old
Old 05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
mw09g37

get it done and you'll have a clean front end spend 600 bucks.

if not, you'll get rock chips.

pick your poison.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 AM
RaiderSuby

Originally Posted by PascalT

no bumper? You need that too.

The DIY kit is $150 so you can do the math, if he is doing the job in 3 hours that means he is charging you $150/hr. personally I don't think that is a good deal if he is not doing the bumper.