Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
kahuna251

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra

Anyone have any expierience with this clear plastic product
i have a new 2010 g37x sedan white 200miles on it
the front bumper is spotless
i want to protect it
Clearbra.com in NJ uses vanguard product (8 mils thick) not the (3m product)
warranteed for 10 years by manufacturer and 2 years by the installers at clearbra.com
i am on the fence yet their site shows alot of high end cars for references
need some real advise on who used this stuff or any other ideas?

kahuna251

2010 g37x sedan
white/wheat interior
nav , prem,wood accents
rear deck spoiler
splash guards
cargo,first aid,mats
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll find many responses on this and there have been many threads as well.

I had Ventureshield applied when I bought my car last May and so far the film has held up extremely well through the harsh NE winter. I selected this product after reading reviews and comparisons. Most if not all films today have a clear coat but some are thicker and some may show an orange peel surface. The older 3M film was much thicker and prone to yellowing. Note that Ventureshield was bought by 3M but it's still marketed as a separate product by name.

Others here have used the XPel product that you're looking at and like it as well. The key is to get a good installer regardless of which way you go, but I definitely recommend getting a film installed.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
kahuna251

John

thanks for the vote of confidence on the Ventureshield
i got to check out some references with Clearbra.com in Long branch NJ
but its the way to go before i get any bumper chips

kahuna251

2010 g37x sedan
white/wheat interior
nav , prem,wood accents
rear deck spoiler
splash guards
cargo,first aid,mats
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Hitdog540

I am on the highway constantly...had the Venturetape bra installed at vehicle purchase. Not one chip over 6k miles...mostly winter and highway.

Definately worth it.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
DEC1

I had venture shield put on a black car and it has seen highway driving with salt sand etc...and it looks like when I drove it off the showroom floor. I had it on my G coupe and it held up well over 60K. On both cars I negotiated a lower price as part of the purchase...so it's been worth the price to me.
You can wash and wax it as you would the normal paint. The only drawback if there is one is that wax can get caught on the edge and make it show up on darker colors.
There have been some that say they would prefer to just repaint the hood and bumper if they get messed up.
I don't feel this is a viable solution...and doubt that anyone actually does it. Besides...a week or two after you paint it...it's all chipped and nicked up again.
Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM
lokitiw

On my way home from the Phoenix dealer I had two small stone dings in the leading edge of the hood, next day it was getting the Venture Shield installed. As clear as glass. I use a polymer and not a wax so that it shows nothing on the edge. Dec1, you might want to give the polymers a try, I know what you are going through.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 AM
KLB

I have one as well and it is great. My only regret is not having the whole hood done rather than the standard front part. I got blasted by salt trunks this winter and picked up a lot of knicks on my hood above the clearbra.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a fan of clear bras (no pun intended). But shouldn't we be asking this....Why should we have to pay hundreds of bucks to keep our cars from being chipped to death. Yes I know paint is not what it once was. But think about this. A clear bra installed on the assembly line by a fancy robot would probably be 1/10 the cost of what we are paying (assuming Infiniti was nice enough not to gouge for it as an "accessory").
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
motobonsai

I am debating getting a clear bra myself.

My main sticking point is the line across the hood. I asked the dealer if i could get the whole hood done, so no line. But he said you wouldnt want to do the whole hood.

What are the disadvantages to the whole hood being done.

Will it look dull compared to the rest of the car?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM
HTP AutoWorks

Originally Posted by motobonsai
I am debating getting a clear bra myself.

My main sticking point is the line across the hood. I asked the dealer if i could get the whole hood done, so no line. But he said you wouldnt want to do the whole hood.

What are the disadvantages to the whole hood being done.

Will it look dull compared to the rest of the car?
Your dealer is the wrong person to talk to on clear bras. They really do not have any knowledge about the product. Just what it is. I get contracted out through numerous dealerships and I do the work for them. They just sell it for me. As for the full hood it will maximize your coverage. It will look just as good as the paint. Some films will dull over time. I have found ventureshield ultra to be the best film out there. It doesn't dull doesn't yellow. And doesn't have any orange peel in it. It also has a lifetime warranty. The other advantage is I can get it 60" wide rolls so I can do just about any hood or fender without it needing to be seemed. Great film over all. If you have any more questions let me know. And sorry for any typos. On the iPhone today.

I have some photos of ventureshield side by side with 3M on the gallery 1 page
thom
Services
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
motobonsai

Anyone know a good place to get the ventureshield in boston area?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by motobonsai
Anyone know a good place to get the ventureshield in boston area?
If you go to their website (www.ventureshield.com) you'll be able to get a list of installers.

I used Protective Solutions since they were convenient and have been in the business for quite a while. They did a good job.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
DEC1

Originally Posted by lokitiw
On my way home from the Phoenix dealer I had two small stone dings in the leading edge of the hood, next day it was getting the Venture Shield installed. As clear as glass. I use a polymer and not a wax so that it shows nothing on the edge. Dec1, you might want to give the polymers a try, I know what you are going through.
I use polymers...the dealer did me a "favor" and used carnauba at delivery. I'll be trying to get rid of the white lines forever. If I had known they were going to do this I would not have allowed it....plus I think they use sandpaper fro buffing rags...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
devin98

question about the clear bra, I got it installed at the dealer and they only did a strip on the hood, nothing on the bumper is this normal?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by devin98
question about the clear bra, I got it installed at the dealer and they only did a strip on the hood, nothing on the bumper is this normal?
They should have offered you a few packages at least?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra