Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Alt G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devin98
question about the clear bra, I got it installed at the dealer and they only did a strip on the hood, nothing on the bumper is this normal?
Bumper is just as vulnerable as the hood (or more so). Of course, you can go back and have it done too. And, of course, it will cost you more money.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Hitdog540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you pay for it or was it free from the dealer??? The bumper, headlights and backs of the mirrors should be covered.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
DEC1

Originally Posted by devin98
question about the clear bra, I got it installed at the dealer and they only did a strip on the hood, nothing on the bumper is this normal?
nope not normal...what did it cost?

hood, bumper, leading edge of front fenders and back of mirrors is more typical and like someone else said..sometimes headlights and sometimes dished area behind door handles
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
civeng

I had the dealer install the 3M product on my hood, front bumper, head lights, mirrors and the horizontal portion of the rear bumper. I have owned 4 black vehicles, the most recent a 5 series BMW and I would have had the invisible bra/mask on all vehicles had I known before hand how prevalent the stone chips would be. I had the front bumper painted a second time on the BMW because I couldn't bare how sh!tty it looked. After two years the front bumper looks just as bad as before I had it painted. It would have been more cost effective to have had the invisible bra installed initially.

Recently, I purchased some additional 3M film from Invisible Mask for my rocker covers and the lower portion of the doors. I can live with the lines, but not the stone chips. I installed the film with the assistance of my 12 year old daughter and let me say that my 12 year could have probably installed the flat pieces on her own. The most difficult part was stretching the film over the contoured portion of the rocker panel on the front quarter panel. With a little bit of patience most people should be able to achieve a quality installtion by following the instructions. The installation of eight pieces of film took approximately 2hrs.

A couple of pieces of advice. First, apply film with your car in the garage with the door closed. (wind is not your friend when installing film). Second, ensure the underlying surface is clean when rolling out the film sheets in preparation for the installation. The backside of the film is somewhat sticky and any small particles will affect the appearance of the installation. Any small grains of grit can be removed by pulling back the film and flushing with soap & water solution.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
devin98

I paid for it at the dealer it was around $600 or so if I recall
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 PM
chuwontis

I got a quote from an installer for 1/4 hood, side fender, front bumper, light and side mirror for $700. He ask if I want a bikini cut. Anyone has an opinion on bikini vs regular cut?
Old 04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
RickRack

Originally Posted by motobonsai
Anyone know a good place to get the ventureshield in boston area?
I have an excellent installer that offers both Ventureshield and Roadblock film I can hook you up with.

You can PM me or drop me an e-mail Rickrack79@hotmail.com

~Rick
Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
sportsdude512

Originally Posted by HTP AutoWorks
Your dealer is the wrong person to talk to on clear bras. They really do not have any knowledge about the product. Just what it is. I get contracted out through numerous dealerships and I do the work for them. They just sell it for me. As for the full hood it will maximize your coverage. It will look just as good as the paint. Some films will dull over time. I have found ventureshield ultra to be the best film out there. It doesn't dull doesn't yellow. And doesn't have any orange peel in it. It also has a lifetime warranty. The other advantage is I can get it 60" wide rolls so I can do just about any hood or fender without it needing to be seemed. Great film over all. If you have any more questions let me know. And sorry for any typos. On the iPhone today.

I have some photos of ventureshield side by side with 3M on the gallery 1 page
thom
Services

what parts of the car would you recommend? and can you give a rough estimate on your recommendation? thanks

and has anyone used the ventureshield? and if so how do you compare to the other products?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay i have 3M, and while it has lasted well over 10k miles, i believe Ventureshield is the better way to go. i think it's easier to apply and doesn't turn colors or fade as much.

even though i paid about $750 for mine, it was a shoddy job. I had to go back several times and still there are imperfections (ie, bubbles, lines, peeling) that at this point i've stopped caring about it lest i lose my sanity. and dont judge a business by how much they charge; you should definitely see their work or get referrals. dont fall for the emperor's new clothes as i did.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM
sportsdude512

^^
sorry to hear, thanks for the info...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM
beattyG37

Does anyone know of a clearbra installer in the Atlanta area? By that, I mean WITHIN Atlanta. I keep getting referrals to ones in Canton or Gwinnett but is there not a decent one in Atlanta? My issue is getting the car to the installer and leaving it, trying not to take a day off of work to do it. And, I would be having the entire hood / fenders / bumper done so need an installer that can do that, not just a partial hood. Just seems odd that as big as Atlanta is, I can't find a decent installer in the midtown / downtown areas.

Thanks for any help!