Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Just washed car, covered in dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just washed car, covered in dust

So, I just washed my car on Saturday. ONR wash, detailer, and wax. It was looking real nice. Took it for a short drive on Sunday and it got a thin layer of dust.

I would like to get the dust cleaned off without having to do a complete wash. Is there a product or method that people like for this?

Thanks, Charlie.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
HB4LTHR
Registered Member

I would just re-ONR it without waxing it. Unfortunately, to prevent new scratches from occuring there really is no "short cut". You could use a California Duster by barely touching the surface assuming the dust build up is not that much. If it were me I would just wash it and avoid having the hassle of later having to correct scratches you may inadvertently introduce....just my $.02...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use FK425
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Raizon

I use the California duster to clean the dust off my car. I know there is a debate about using this on a car but I've been using it for over a year and I have no complaints. The key is to very lightly brush your car off with the duster.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Triple_X

is it just residue from the wax? Every time I wax my car I get that 'dust'. I just get a clean microfiber towel and gently wipe it away
Old 03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
hammer2930

Don't use a California Duster you do introduce scratches with that. Do the ONR again as said by HB4LTHR w/ microfibers and very gently then you could do a QD(Quick Detail), the FK425 definitely a good suggestion.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My preference is a couple of MF towels and some Poorboys Spray & Wipe.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboy...-P32/16-oz-S1/
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If your like me, and havent advanced to the stage of ordering products, and am just using what is locally available, try meq's ultimate quick detailer and a mf cloth.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raizon
I use the California duster to clean the dust off my car. I know there is a debate about using this on a car but I've been using it for over a year and I have no complaints. The key is to very lightly brush your car off with the duster.
I've used the California Duster for over 10 years and started with my prior 2000 Corvette and NEVER had a problem. I disagree with the previous poster claiming it scratches.

It uses a parrafin (wax) coating on cotton fibers that pulls the dust off the surface. When it's new it may leave a few streaks of the parrafin which is not harmful at all and I would finish with some Zaino quick detailer or similar product. The duster is a must in the Northeast when the Pine pollen starts hitting in a few months.

Just don't get a cheap imitation if you decide to go this route. But I'm sure you'll find it's a necessary accessory.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
chasemyaccord

Man, you guys would use QD to "rewash" your car? Haha I don't think I'd ever get that desperate, I'd rather just re-wash the car with soap and water.

I got a Cali duster as a gift, but I've been hesistant to use it. My car is dusty right now and I've been debating whether to go for it or not. I've already induced enough hair-like scratches to the point where I don't think it'd make much difference. But yeah, nothing beats a good ol rewash. I'll have to give the ONR a try.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Man, you guys would use QD to "rewash" your car? Haha I don't think I'd ever get that desperate, I'd rather just re-wash the car with soap and water.

I got a Cali duster as a gift, but I've been hesistant to use it. My car is dusty right now and I've been debating whether to go for it or not. I've already induced enough hair-like scratches to the point where I don't think it'd make much difference. But yeah, nothing beats a good ol rewash. I'll have to give the ONR a try.
Why not use a QD to wash your car?? There are QDs that can be used on a dirty paint surface because they contain lubricants and won't harm your paint surface. Poorboys S&W is such a QD, as is Chemical Guys Go Green. Other QDs do not contain lubricants and should ONLY be used on a clean paint surface.

So if you have the right QD, why spend time washing and drying a car simply to get dust off when you can do it 5 mins with a QD?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Gobbler Man

Well, the rewash would be nice, but even with ONR, it takes time. If I did a straight wash it would be close to 60 minutes. I cant do that every time I get it dusty. I duster sounds scary to me, but real convenient.

I was just looking at the quick detailer spray. Now that sounds like I could do that. Which MF towel would be best (waffle, thick, etc)?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by Gobbler Man
Well, the rewash would be nice, but even with ONR, it takes time. If I did a straight wash it would be close to 60 minutes. I cant do that every time I get it dusty. I duster sounds scary to me, but real convenient.

I was just looking at the quick detailer spray. Now that sounds like I could do that. Which MF towel would be best (waffle, thick, etc)?
Definitely go with a plus MF towel for using a waterless wash like PB's S&W. Something like this. DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel - 16" x 16" | Detailed Image

If you plan on using a QD for use in between washes, like I mentioned earlier, make sure you get the proper type of QD........one that can be used on unclean paint surfaces.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Gobbler Man

Okay. I will look to putting that on my next purchase day. Why the two different naps on it? Would I use the two naps while doing my touch up? Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

The plusher nap allows for removing loose particles from your paint surface (ie. dust), while the shorter weave nap is used for removing bonded particles from your paint (ie. bird bombs). If you are looking for a plush MF towel on both sides, go with this one. DI Microfiber reTHICKulous Towel - 16" x 16" | Detailed Image

Quick Reply: Just washed car, covered in dust