Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

New 2010 g37s graphite shadow...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New 2010 g37s graphite shadow...

So I just traded in my 08 g37s and the swirls and scratches were at an apocalyptic level. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to do right off the bat to my new car to keep that graphite shadow paint looking awesome. There is nothing like virgin paint!

Also, am I right in thinking that imperfections will show up less on the GS than on the OB?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
DEC1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just did the opposite...traded my plat graph for OB. And yes you will like the fact that swirls aren't nearly as noticeable on the GS.

Go to detailedimage.com...they are a sponsor on this board. They have amazing how-to on all topics of cleaning, detailing etc...an amazingly helpful resource
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
So I just traded in my 08 g37s and the swirls and scratches were at an apocalyptic level. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to do right off the bat to my new car to keep that graphite shadow paint looking awesome. There is nothing like virgin paint!
Nothing like virgins, period!

Uhh, oh yeah, paint. I'd recommend at least claying and sealing, then some wax on top if you like it. Getting into detailing is about the most **** thing you can do to a car, but the results clearly speak for themselves. I don't know how knowledgeable you are about detailing, or how much time you're willing to put into it, but at least learning how to clay, wash and seal your paintwork properly will pay off big. Head over to detailedimage.com for a bunch of useful how-tos on this stuff.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everytime I have ever attempted to get into detailing I have ended up screwing up and making things worse. I'm tempted to just get it clayed and sealed by a professional...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it to a professional detailer in your area that is known for doing top notch work. Claying, single or multistep compounding via machine, sealing, and waxing (optional) are things that you should be looking for. For a great job, expect to a minimum of $300 and up. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I would get it sealed. Waxes usually last 3-4 weeks but sealing it can last up to 6 months. Plus, you can wax over a sealant and get an additional layer of protection.

Think of sealant as an additional clear coat that will absorb all the damage for your paint. Putting wax over a sealant is like putting on another layer of protection, plus it makes your car look fantastic.

I would seal your car, and then when you wash your car, use the 2 bucket method and wax it. That way, you have a very good layer of protection.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

^ But sealants will do absolutely nothing for removing paint imperfections. If the OP wants his swirls and scratches removed, they will need to be removed with a machine and an abrassive compound. Once they are removed, then a sealant can be applied a durable paint protection.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^ But sealants will do absolutely nothing for removing paint imperfections. If the OP wants his swirls and scratches removed, they will need to be removed with a machine and an abrassive compound. Once they are removed, then a sealant can be applied a durable paint protection.
You are 100% correct. But..........Re-read the original post.

The OP JUST traded in a car that had lots of swirls and scratches. He wanted to know what he could do to prevent this on his NEW car.

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric

Also, am I right in thinking that imperfections will show up less on the GS than on the OB?
So it sounds like he has a brand new car with perfect virgin paint that has no swirls and scratches on it. Hence why a sealant would be a benefit right from the start.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by philter25
You are 100% correct. But..........Re-read the original post.

The OP JUST traded in a car that had lots of swirls and scratches. He wanted to know what he could do to prevent this on his NEW car.
You are absolutely correct, my bad. Reading comprehension goes a long way doesn't it?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The number one thing with black and darker cars is not to wash,dry or wax them using circular motions.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
freesurfer
Registered Member

What motion is correct?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by movinon
The number one thing with black and darker cars is not to wash,dry or wax them using circular motions.
I'd say that applies to any colour.

Originally Posted by freesurfer
What motion is correct?
I go back and forth, following the lines of the car. But more importantly than direction is to use as as little pressure as possible. You don't want to be rubbing the dirt into the paint - that's what scratches it. This rule applies to pretty much any paint care procedure except polishing with a cutting compound. Be gentle with your lady - they really do appreciate it!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
You are absolutely correct, my bad. Reading comprehension goes a long way doesn't it?
Yeah, but this is the internet! You're SUPPOSED to be talking out of your **** without listening to anything anyone has to say!