Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ivory carnuba wax on clearbra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ivory carnuba wax on clearbra?

Going to wax my car this weekend, and I have some Blackfire Midnight Sun Canuba Paste Wax, which is ivory carnuba wax. I was going to tape off the seam of the clear bra so that wax does not get in there and wax the car and clear bra but now I am wondering if I should avoid waxing the clear bra completely. My clear bra installer told me to avoid yellow waxes on the clear bra because it can stain and cause discoloration of the film.

Here is what I found about ivory waxes:
"Ivory Carnauba wax is simply #1 yellow Carnauba wax that has been decolorized to remove the natural yellow color. The decolorizing process in no way, shape or form increases the quality of the Carnauba wax. If anything, the decolorizing process could diminish the quality of the Carnauba because the chemicals used are rather harsh. Decolorizing Carnauba is an unnecessary step that would appear to be more of a marketing ploy to create a perception of "added value" - when in reality it is much to do about nothing - to put a few more dollars in the hands of the seller"
meguiars.com: FAQ - What is Carnauba wax?

So ivory wax appears to be the same stuff as yellow wax, and I am afraid it might still cause discoloration of clear bra.

What do you guys think? Avoid putting ivory wax over clear bra and just clean it more often with Plexus in between car washes?
Old 03-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have used all types of carnauba waxes on my clear bra (including Midnight Sun) with no problems at all that I can see. My car is black though, I don't see any yellowing but I guess it would be hard to tell.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:38 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok thanks I will give it a try.

BTW, I called the clear bra installer and he said that it should be fine as long as there are no yellow dyes in the wax, so I guess even yellow carnuba would be fine as long as there are no yellow additives.